"Swap 'n' Go" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Nudged to the answer. Wasn’t even close.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :tornado: :european_castle: Nudged across the moat. Clever - thanks, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Crossed the MOAT, but not until Ben lowered the drawbridge.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Assisted over the moat with the nudges. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben. This was a good one !!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges have definitely helped some. Here's an update of successful solvers:

markhr
SeamusOL
Carolyn
CPJohnson
BarbaraK
Cindy Heisler
KayW
ChrisCross
DebbieC
lbray53
Spid4567
LindaPRmaven
Dow Jones

That brings us up to 30!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Crossed the moat. I was nudged by another muggle and didn't use the hints. I was making it way harder than it needed to be. Good puzzle, Ben!
Jade

Post by Jade »

Got it thanks to the nudges given, but wouldn't have been anywhere near otherwise. Great puzzle, though!
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, got it with a second look after the nudges. As usual, seems like it should have been more obvious in retrospect. Thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
hoover

Post by hoover »

Needed all the nudges. The first part isn't anything I'd ever heard of.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

A puzzle I did not solve, but that is entirely on me! I got so tied up with what I thought it should be that I did not notice the obvious clues to what it was. A nice puzzle by our cobber Ben even if I did have to Google a LOT of things. Two more years of this and we all will be honorary Aussies! Dardy, now time for a frothy!

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Needed the nudges, but I'm finally inside the castle. Good one, Ben!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Crossed the moat after the nudges pumped out the water.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Answer comes out tomorrow (Aussie time!) Here's a solver update, in the meantime:

edestlin
MrTheHan
Sharkicicles
jbird
DIS
Jim Dean
ajk
hoover
frostyjhammer
Capn Rick
ReB

That's 41 now. One more update before the answer reveal, so get on it if you haven't got there yet!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

No more solvers, so here's the answer to "Swap 'n' Go":

Swap 'n' Go (solution).png

This was tricky, mainly because of those pesky Ps. In coming up with an appropriate meta answer I had to find a gas with a name long enough to be interesting but comprised of letters that other gases started with! As it turns out, PROPANE is pretty much the only gas starting with P! So that meant scraping the bottom of the (oil) barrel with PLUMBANE (which hardly anyone would know about) and then having a little joke with PETROL being called GAS in the US. Ah well, it seems that most people still enjoyed the puzzle, even with these little quirks!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Even with nudges, I didn’t get it! Still don’t understand… (1) I was trying to just swap a letter not the whole words but, either way, Still seems like nonsense words to me (2) how would I know to take some first letters, some 2nd letters and one 3rd letters? To get “PROPANE”?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Ergcat wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:04 pm Even with nudges, I didn’t get it! Still don’t understand… (1) I was trying to just swap a letter not the whole words but, either way, Still seems like nonsense words to me (2) how would I know to take some first letters, some 2nd letters and one 3rd letters? To get “PROPANE”?
My intention was that once you swapped the order of the two words/parts you would immediately see the name of a gas! Now, it might not happen with the first one, but one of them should jump out at you and then you go hunting for the rest!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:33 pm
Ergcat wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:04 pm Even with nudges, I didn’t get it! Still don’t understand… (1) I was trying to just swap a letter not the whole words but, either way, Still seems like nonsense words to me (2) how would I know to take some first letters, some 2nd letters and one 3rd letters? To get “PROPANE”?
My intention was that once you swapped the order of the two words/parts you would immediately see the name of a gas! Now, it might not happen with the first one, but one of them should jump out at you and then you go hunting for the rest!
Yes, probably true… I did major in Chemistry so “Propane” might have jumped out! One would hope! 😃
Thank you for explaining and thank you for your creativity in constructing meta puzzles! I look forward to your puzzles every week !
-Elaine ( Ergcat)
ajk

Post by ajk »

Think I would have been on to it sooner but for some reason I read the preamble as saying that only the term Swap 'n' Go would be important and that it's origin story (which should have prompted thinking about gases) was irrelevant. Once properly focused it was fairly speedy.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:33 pm

Um... it only happened with the first one.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:07 pm No more solvers, so here's the answer to "Swap 'n' Go":

Swap 'n' Go (solution).png

This was tricky, mainly because of those pesky Ps. In coming up with an appropriate meta answer I had to find a gas with a name long enough to be interesting but comprised of letters that other gases started with! As it turns out, PROPANE is pretty much the only gas starting with P! So that meant scraping the bottom of the (oil) barrel with PLUMBANE (which hardly anyone would know about) and then having a little joke with PETROL being called GAS in the US. Ah well, it seems that most people still enjoyed the puzzle, even with these little quirks!
Bozonet is the name of my new internet startup!