MEOW #100: Isn't It Ironic(ally Named)

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Time for the answer reveal. But first, a solver update:

bhamren
kymike

We got to 59. Well done everyone!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Isn't It Ironic(ally Named)":

Isn't It Ironic(ally Named) (solution).png

I know it was a bit mean of me to deliberately misspell those two latin names, but I assumed that once you were on the trail you would work out what they were supposed to be with a judicious use of Google.

I hope Alanis Morissette doesn't mind the gentle ribbing - she copped quite a bit of flack over the years for mistaking coincidence for irony - but I truly do love the song: it's extremely catchy and the lyrics are fun! And, if you're interested, the following video is from a duo who fixed the song so that it really is ironic:

Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

"24A Does not contain mince"

But it most certainly does! It contains minced apples, and raisins, and sometimes meat (although usually just suet).
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:59 pm "24A Does not contain mince"

But it most certainly does! It contains minced apples, and raisins, and sometimes meat (although usually just suet).
I guess that's true. But here in Australia "mince" means minced meat.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

On here, so often, it will mean "words."
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Dplass wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:22 am Got it, thanks for the puzzle. I can think of a very funny pun to go here but it'd be redacted.
My pun was going to be "Debugged."