"Building Onto" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

benchen71 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:59 am
Katiedid wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:53 pm Solved my first MOAT. I only needed half of the second nudge. Thanks!
Welcome to MOAT, @Katiedid! Lots of fun puzzles in the archive, and lots more to come!

(I mention the archive because the more MOATs you do, the better you will know the sort of metanisms I employ! :D )

You'd better appreciate this - that took a few seconds painstaking hours.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

MikeyG wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:29 pm
Katiedid wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:53 pm Solved my first MOAT. I only needed half of the second nudge. Thanks!
Welcome to MOAT, @Katiedid! Lots of fun puzzles in the archive, and lots more to come!

(I mention the archive because the more MOATs you do, the better you will know the sort of metanisms I employ! :D )

I wish there was a "love heart" button, not just the thumbs up one, because that art work definitely deserves it!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Give your heart to an American TV channel for its ubiquitous 1980s public service announcements. I just cheaply edited in Microsoft Paint, the best program on my laptop (but don't tell Word and Excel). :lol:
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

benchen71 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:39 pm
MikeyG wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:29 pm

I wish there was a "love heart" button, not just the thumbs up one, because that art work definitely deserves it!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's Monday morning here in Oz, and that means it's time for the answer reveal. But first, here's who made it to the answer since the last solver update bringing us to a grand total of 43:

Katiedid
Mikey G

Welcome to @Katiedid who has completed her first MOAT crossing!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the answer to "Building Onto":

Building Onto (solution).png

Thanks for the encouraging comments both here and on Crosshare. Many of you said you really liked this one! :D

This week's MOAT will be a sequel to one from last year: "Horror Movie Trope". You don't have to have completed the previous one, though.
"Horror Movie Trope II" is a stand-alone puzzle.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Or you could just subtract TRE from ENTRAPPED = APPEND. Lol.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

boharr wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:59 pm Or you could just subtract TRE from ENTRAPPED = APPEND. Lol.
Yes, I was aware that that was a possible path to the answer. ;)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nice puzzle Ben. I never got there because, well because I was just in a completely different zone and even with all the nudges never saw the light. Nice job though.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!