“Logophilia” — Harper’s, November 2022

Enter if you dare!
ChrisKochmanski

“Logophilia” — Harper’s, November 2022

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Another fun Richard E. Maltby, Jr. variety cryptic extravaganza, though i must say, I needed to do a good bit of googling to complete it, which made it a somewhat less satisfying than usual REMJ for me.

OTOH, I learned some good new words!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Chris--Do you have to subscribe to get the puzzles?
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I believe you do need to subscribe. It seems like about once every three years I get a notice from Harper's saying that my sub is about to run out, and they always offer some nice offer that keeps the price to about $1 per puzzle or less. I must say, I haven't read the magazine in years. I just do the puzzles.

Hmm ... I get a print edition ... I haven't checked it online in ages ... I could check to see if it's easy for me to download the puzzle there. Then I could send it to you. Let me know.
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

Tougher than the average Maltby (IMO.)
I feel his puzzles that I find more challenging are that much more satisfying to solve!

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Agree that this month’s puzzle was harder than many. Enjoyed it nonetheless.
In the last year I have downloaded Maltby from the online edition because I receive it so much earlier than the print edition. Very capable of being forwarded via email.
Chris and I have DM ‘d previously that the only reason either of us pay for the magazine is Maltby’s puzzle.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I've been a print subscriber for years, but find myself skimming the magazine ... and only after completing the puzzle! (It's the reverse of "I only buy it for the articles.") Hard copy usually arrives three days after the online edition goes up, which is an eternity in Maltby Time. I don't know what I'll do if Harper's follows The Atlantic's lead and drops the cryptic from its pages.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Tom Wilson wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:41 am I've been a print subscriber for years, but find myself skimming the magazine ... and only after completing the puzzle! (It's the reverse of "I only buy it for the articles.") Hard copy usually arrives three days after the online edition goes up, which is an eternity in Maltby Time. I don't know what I'll do if Harper's follows The Atlantic's lead and drops the cryptic from its pages.
Ditto and ditto for me (except my print copy is usually at least a week late). Years ago I used to enjoy the rest of the magazine, but not as much anymore.

Puzzle was fun, and I was very proud of myself that I only had to google for the top two unclued entries--the rest I either knew or knew related words.