MEOW #99 Split the Bills

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Intentionally posting to force a third page, since then I won't see the answer.

I'll be getting this after the fact, but I've looked for a half-hour, hoping I could squeeze in before the reveal. Even with the nudges, my head's still spinning, so I'll have to revisit this one a bit later!

(I hope I don't bill-fold.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Nope… even with the nudges I never saw it! But seeing the solution I have to say that was very clever! Bravo!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

One last minute solver, jhseeman bringing the total to 35!

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:01 pm Intentionally posting to force a third page, since then I won't see the answer.

I'll be getting this after the fact, but I've looked for a half-hour, hoping I could squeeze in before the reveal. Even with the nudges, my head's still spinning, so I'll have to revisit this one a bit later!

(I hope I don't bill-fold.)
Heck I'm just hoping I don't make you bill-ious!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I think it wasn't so much that this puzzle was too difficult, but somehow I had completely the wrong idea about it, not sure if that was all me or if it was a bit unclear. From the directions I thought that the answer would be intuited rather than spelled out, and also I missed that the answer should be 8 letters. So I submitted a couple of wrong guesses that came from the right idea, without having found the entire mechanism or even realizing that there was more to it than I had found. I eventually read the nudges and realized where I went wrong. Thanks @DrTom, it was a good puzzle! I just wasn't on the right wavelength, it happens.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, guess who must still be jet lagged! I realize that I posted the reveal on MONDAY not TUESDAY. what a dolt. Hopefully i did not spoil anyone's last minute rush to the finish line. I'm going to chalk it up to still having my clock some 6 hours off. That takes care of at least a quarter of my prematurity.

Obviously I must have been reading this book:
Too Early.jpg
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I thought for sure the answer was Bill Katz!
Rufus T. Firefly
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tom Shea wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:19 am I thought for sure the answer was Bill Katz!
You can't Bill Katz, they just don't pay.
Bill the cat.jpg
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Took a peak at the first line of the graphic and that got me what I needed, haha. BILL MURRAY seems obvious in retrospect, but I just couldn't see it. And that was going to be my guess anyway, but I'm glad to have found what I needed to!!

You can bill me for this one - just put it on my diet soda.

Thanks for the puzzle!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze