WaPo Letter to the Editor Sept 10, 2022

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

hoover wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:05 pm
ebirnholz wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:57 pm
hoover wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:04 pm Here's my biggest complaint about the WaPo crosswords:

Greenshot 2022-09-14 11.02.57.png
I may be wrong about this but I think you can still solve my crosswords on the Post's website without needing a subscription. The blog is another matter and I know that gives you a paywall message, but the puzzles themselves should still be available to you.
Sadness. I was able to get to the main Crossword page, and I was able to get from there to the Sunday Meta page, but I can't click on an individual crossword without a subscription.
You could get them in .puz or pdf from

https://crosswordfiend.com/download/
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I can get to them. Google Washington Post Sunday Crossword. Click link. Watch a short ad until it will let you skip it. Then choose which Sunday puzzle you want. There will be several listed. Then you can solve online or print and solve. I do not subscribe.
ebirnholz

Post by ebirnholz »

I guess as positive closure to this episode, the Post published letters from three solvers who disagreed with the original one.
‘Get with it’ on the crossword puzzles
Having read two letters in the Sept. 10 Free For All complaining about The Post’s relatability to the boomer (my) generation, I say to the authors a hearty “Get with it.”

Regarding the first, “Crossword puzzles for whom exactly?”: Crossword answers reflect our culture, be it popular, literary or arcane, and I applaud Evan Birnholz for challenging puzzlers to color outside the lines.

And, in the second, “Make The Post boomer-friendly,” a writer complained that he didn’t know what a UX designer is: My daughter is one, and she makes websites and apps easy to use for coots like me and the letter writer.

So, dear Post, please keep ringing in the new. As the poet laureate of our generation wrote, “He not busy being born is busy dyin’.”

Seth Greenstein, Potomac

In response to Kutlu Somel’s question regarding Evan Birnholz’s weekly crossword puzzles, I would answer that they are for people who enjoy a challenge beyond the mundane crossword puzzles found in other newspapers.

I look forward to Birnholz’s complex mind exercises that provide me with twists and turns and require thinking “outside the box.” If Somel and others desire an easier puzzle, they should turn to the Arts and Style section of The Post and work on the Los Angeles Times puzzle printed there. I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting the next Birnholz puzzle with pen (not pencil) in hand!

The Sept. 11 puzzle was one of his easiest and should have satisfied most puzzle solvers.

Sonia Houck, Woodbridge

I disagree with the recent letter criticizing the Sunday crossword puzzles by Evan Birnholz. Though sometimes challenging, they are almost always solvable, unlike some of the Los Angeles Times puzzles published in The Post on Saturdays.

Yes, a few of his formats are literally outside the box, but that’s what makes them fun. His puzzles often demand a wide range of knowledge, but he strikes a nice balance of current and past subjects, resulting in a very entertaining product. I hope The Post continues to publish his crosswords for a long time.

Bob Sabatelli, Clarksburg
Inca

Post by Inca »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:45 pm

You could get them in .puz or pdf from

https://crosswordfiend.com/download/
I know this is off-topic for this thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was anywhere that I could access the WSJ Saturday cryptic and/or variety puzzle in a format I could do online?
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Inca wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:07 pm
I know this is off-topic for this thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was anywhere that I could access the WSJ Saturday cryptic and/or variety puzzle in a format I could do online?
For the variety puzzles, I've only seen downloadable PDFs. I solve them "online" by (for rectangular puzzles, like the Shenk Labyrinth last month) setting the PDF and an Excel file side by side on my screen and filling in the spreadsheet while reading the clues on the puzzle, or by pasting the (non-rectangular, like a Rows Garden) puzzle grid into MS Paint and filling in the text on there.
Inca

Post by Inca »

MikeM000 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:57 am
Inca wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:07 pm
For the variety puzzles, I've only seen downloadable PDFs. I solve them "online" by (for rectangular puzzles, like the Shenk Labyrinth last month) setting the PDF and an Excel file side by side on my screen and filling in the spreadsheet while reading the clues on the puzzle, or by pasting the (non-rectangular, like a Rows Garden) puzzle grid into MS Paint and filling in the text on there.
Good idea, thank you. I'll try it. I'm not that good at solving cryptics but I enjoy trying. I love the aha-feeling I get for each answer I get
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I don't have a subscription but still do the puzzle every week. I can even print it out. Great job, Evan---keep up the good work!