MGWCC #748 - “Crack the Code”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

I think I pulled all my hair out on this one. Had a major project come to fruition this week so I had to step away and I never managed to find the answer. I had the numbers, saw the remaining letters, but failed to connect them to the others in the grid. Now that I see the answer it's hard to imagine why I didn't see them. There's always next week!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Did anyone else have the immediate thought "I'm going to google Zip CODE 71298 and it's going to be for Babe Ruth, WY or Jefferson, ID or some other place you could associate with a 'famous # 3' "?

And, of course, you do that and it turns out there is no US zip code 71298. :)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

MikeM000 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:39 pm Did anyone else have the immediate thought "I'm going to google Zip CODE 71298 and it's going to be for Babe Ruth, WY or Jefferson, ID or some other place you could associate with a 'famous # 3' "?

And, of course, you do that and it turns out there is no US zip code 71298. :)
I looked it up of course. Oaxaca, Mexico!
Heidi
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

woozy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:03 pm I'm grouchy so I'm going to say "a well known number 3" is an oxymoron. If something is well-known its a number one or two..... Jus' being a grouch.....
So I trust you'll agree that the number 3 planet in our solar system is indeed well-known?

Also the 3rd president of the United States

The 3rd color of the spectrum

The 3rd day of the week or 3rd month of the year

The 3rd element on the periodic table

The 3rd world (I've met some young folks who don't even know why it's the 3rd world and what the 1st and 2nd are)

If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)