"Laughter Is The Best Drug" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

edestlin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:25 am
woozy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:02 pm The answers to the nudges are: Of course, yes, I suppose. Nothing.

And I'm exactly where I was before the nudges.
Just about the same. I think I know what Ben's nudging us toward but I'm just not putting two and two together.
Same here. At least if I don’t solve Ben’s metas I usually learn something from them though ;)
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Slowly made my way across the moat. Needed someone to explain the first nudge and then a muggle push to reach the castle. Not an easy one for me.
Cindy Heisler
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

woozy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:02 pm The answers to the nudges are: Of course, yes, I suppose. Nothing.

And I'm exactly where I was before the nudges.
Welcome to my world.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Crossed the moat with all the hints - thanks, Ben.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The nudges have doubled the number of solvers, bringing us to 16!

KayW
markhr
Ergcat
Hector
LindaPRmaven
woozy
DIS
Cindy Heisler

If you are still stuck, the following nudge will give most of the game away, so you've been warned!

5. The four WHO AM I? clues and the meta prompt (and all of my vague hint posts) all include two numbers in words (so ignore the year of birth).
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

For those of you who like statistics, "Laughter Is The Best Drug" just made my Crosshare top 5 and pushed my total solves over 9000!

Image 001.png
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Finally got it w the nudges… thank, Ben!
Ray
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Finally crossed the moat with help. I tried three different things when I knew what to do. I misinterpreted the hint in the grid.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Took me the nudges to get there, but I finally crossed the moat. Thanks, Ben! Kudos on being added to Matt Gaffney's links, too!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Needed all five nudges and surviving multiple false steps before crossing the moat. In retrospect, the road map was there all along had I eyes to see...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We have more solvers!

Pair O Ducks
Mwoychick
lbray53
rjy
Laura M
edestlin
ReB

And we're now up to 23.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And one more makes 24:

DrTom

On to the reveal...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The solution to "Laughter Is The Best Drug" is as follows:

Laughter Is The Best Drug (solution).png

For those of you wondering if BANTER DEALER is an Australianism, no it isn't. It's a play off the phrase "Laughter is the best medicine" and the fact that "medicine" in the US is referred to as "drugs". With that in mind, since comedians are known for their banter, it's not too much of a stretch to refer to them as banter dealers.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Wow even with all the hints I didn't have a clue...
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Even after I got nudged as to what to do, I interpreted WITS ENDS to mean that we had to use letters from each end of the names. SO, I was looking at BAMBER DEALER for the longest time. The fact that this still worked for DEALER saved me eventually, but for quite some time I took it to mean that I was using the correct mechanism. I finally realized that it had to be BANTER and then noticed that I could use DAVID PIERCE and AISHA TYLER a different (and correct) way.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!