Upscale

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Since yesterday’s morning update, another nine solvers have come in from the cold.

1. bhamren
2. BarbaraK
3. Snood
4. THC
5. ReB
6. Mikey G
7. michaelm
8. wendy walker
9. Guffman

For those who are still sitting around on the couch, these might help.

Find the word hiding in each theme entry.

If the phrase you get is not at all familiar, do what you always do in that case — consult Doctor G.

LINES cannot be the answer since it is an entry in the grid. But the lines, identified by their initials in Step One, do form the place to write notes.

There’s an alternate spelling which Crosshare will tell you is incorrect. It isn’t. Crosshare cannot deal with ambiguity and so did not allow me to make two answers acceptable, Change your alternate to the more common spelling or PM me your answer.
Jay
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:41 am Since yesterday’s morning update, another nine solvers have come in from the cold.

1. bhamren
2. BarbaraK
3. Snood
4. THC
5. ReB
6. Mikey G
7. michaelm
8. wendy walker
9. Guffman

For those who are still sitting around on the couch, these might help.

Find the word hiding in each theme entry.

If the phrase you get is not at all familiar, do what you always do in that case — consult Doctor G.

LINES cannot be the answer since it is an entry in the grid. But the lines, identified by their initials in Step One, do form the place to write notes.

There’s an alternate spelling which Crosshare will tell you is incorrect. It isn’t. Crosshare cannot deal with ambiguity and so did not allow me to make two answers acceptable, Change your alternate to the more common spelling or PM me your answer.
Facepalm. I got the answer without seeing the metanism. The hints are very hintful, thank you!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I also didn't see the correct mechanism until today's post by Bird Lives. I'm officially off the couch with an answer confirmed on Crosshare.

My original guess was correct, even though I was wrong about how to get it.
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

Off the couch. Thank you for the puzzle Jay!
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

How do access Crosshare and find out if my answer is right?
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got it after the first nudge, though I admit I clicked the rest of the nudges to be sure I wasn't missing something else. Really should have gotten it before the nudge, but was looking in the wrong part of the right area at first. Fun one, and a very worthy successor to last week. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Managed even on vacation. Several words I never heard of, did NOT know that one hand clapping was that.

Some interesting fill Jay, thanks for a bit of fun.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally had a chance to do this one. Took me a minute, but I'm off the couch! Loved the clue for 70 A.
Heidi
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Off the couch with a major nudge.... Great puzzle...
Abide

Post by Abide »

DavyGravy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:52 am How do access Crosshare and find out if my answer is right?
Solve via Crosshare (see link in Post #1)

You have to sign in with a Google account or register to post your answer. Then you can confirm "Correct" or "Incorrect", as well as read the comments.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Enjoyed it! Just got time to do it last night… brought back good memories.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Off the couch! Thanks, Jay!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Late to it, RH and all. Still catching up.
But now off the couch - thanks for the puzzle!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Since Wednesday’s update, another twenty-four solvers have turned up, bringing the total to seventy. That’s two more than last week. I’ll post the solution tomorrow, so if you have an alternate version of the central part of the mechanism (see post #29), send it now.

47. Bbaack
48. Eric Porter
49. Johnny Luau
50. ajk
51. BrennerTJ
52. DrTom
53. Sharkicicles
54. hcbirker
55. DavyGravy
56. jbird
57. LB800
58. minimuggle
59. SeamusOL
60. Gmoney
61. HeadinHome
62. Darrell
63. Carolyn
64. AaronT
65. Schmeel
66. Dave Bromsey
67. Br1
68. Alvibu67
69. DebbieC
70. Laura M
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Two more Saturday solvers bring the final total to 72
71. Joe Pickett
72. Naptown Kid

The answer is STAFF.

Each of the long across entries has a hidden word.
WI-FI NETWORKS -- (WI-FI NETWORKS)

YADDO ESTATE -- (YADDO ESTATE)

BOYLES LAW -- (BOYLES LAW)

GOOGOO DOLLS -- (GOOGOO DOLLS)

FOREVER YOUNG -- (FOREVER YOUNG

Those words form a common mnemonic for the lines of the treble-clef staff — bottom to top: EVERY GOOD BOY DOES FINE. The placement of those entries in the grid mimics the placement of the corresponding lines of the staff.
Staff 700.jpg
Some people learned that those good boys deserve fudge or favor. I asked solvers to contribute their own alternative mnemonics. Mine, which I came up with quickly to provide an example was Elliot Gould Buys Dog Food (I’m sure there’s a better verb for the B-word)

MaineMarge: Emeril Gets Blotto During Feast
KayW: Easy Girls Binge Drink Furiously and
Eccentric Genius Buys Dandelion Farm

Some solvers pointed out that there is already a Web page https://www.acronymfinder.com/EGBDF.html with dozens of variants and noted their favorites, for instance Elvis Goes Belly Dancing Fridays

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Now back to practicing my scales.
Jay
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Thanks Jay for teaching some of us a new word:KOAN.
Amazing coincidence this week-
I am a member of the Cloud Appreciation Society, so every day I receive a photo of their cloud of the day, accompanied by meteorological explanation or snippet from literature.
Here was Thursday’s!!
147F73E1-CF6F-4B6B-B6FE-01A1D6135C4D.jpeg