What a pair (another woozy merry-go-round)

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
woozy

What a pair (another woozy merry-go-round)

Post by woozy »

What a Pair

Meta Prompt: The answer to the puzzle is a poem

This came to me after a trivia question that was right up my alley on Tuesday. This may be one of my better puzzles. I think the theme and mechanism is clever and there are other hints to the answer that you may be able to guess without even doing the meta. I hope it all works and blends together.
Other then necessary theme entries there are no "woozyism"s; there was one short one but I decided to replace it with a "How the hell are we supposed to know that" clue (You aren't, but you should get the cross entries and make educated guesses at some letters and you can use St. Wikipedia to verify afterwards ... or just google from the start, no-one's judging you). There are a total of 3 of those in this puzzle which if the cross entries are clear is, I believe, an acceptable number. (You may replace one clue with the woozyism "Was it the 16th letter?" if you prefer)

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/HTqDk3 ... hat-a-pair
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Wow! Two lovely woozies (woozys? woozeeeees?) in a row! Love this one and the poem too.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Well, I got most of the mechanism after I found the meta. I don’t know what that means! But the construction is very nice.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And I'm off the merry-go-round! Nice puzzle, @woozy.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Off the merry-go-round! Nice job, @woozy!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the merry-go-round!

Quite nice!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Out of the boat!
Untitledboat.png
My favorite kiddieland ride circa 1956 --
What can I say? I was always wild and crazy.

Terrific puzzle, woozy -- Thanks!
woozy

Post by woozy »

I guess it's time for the reveal.

There are 8 seven letter entries that seem to have many similar letters and ... odd theme-like clues. Observation notes they are all anagrams of OWL+CAT+extra letter. The extra letters spell PEA-GREEN. Clues tell you that is a color, and it is a color of a boat mentioned in the poem.

As well, there are two pairs of identical clues with different answers TALON/PAW, and HOOT/MEWL implying one set applies to al OWL and the other to a CAT.

So a poem about an OWL and a CAT in a PEA-GREEN boat? "The owl and the pussy-cat" by Edward Lear.

Thanks for playing.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.