"Out Of Bounds" - December 13, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BethA

Post by BethA »

It’s great to be back on the beach 🏖 this week! Used my NOGgin, eggnog with rum again this week. Pretty risky considering last week at sea!

I usually print the grid about 5pm, but don’t have a chance to start til 8pm. But I usually read the title and hint when I first print it, to get my brain going in that direction. When I read today’s, I felt the collective eyeroll of many of the MUGgles who might not be too enthused about this theme. 😀
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I’m looking forward to the Monday morning quarterbacking — Margaret-Cho-Yma-Sumac complaints about whether this number should have been retired. Hell, the Steelers haven’t officially retired Bradshaw or Franco.
Jay
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

ON THE BEACH!
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Inca

Post by Inca »

MaineMarge wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:42 pm Offshore. Not in my wheelhouse.
Congrats Bob.
I’ll be hanging out with Inca and Isaac til further notice.
Are you still with Isaac? I was looking forward to enjoying your company but I jumped ship while washing my dishes! If you're not there yet, I'm sure I'll be seeing you soon.
Hector

Post by Hector »

So if somebody who is confident they have the answer is feeling charitable, could you drop me a PM and I can bounce my mechanism and answer off of you? If I'm wrong, then I can go back to work.
This time you'll know 100% if you have the right mechanism/answer. Guessing you haven't found it yet. Keep trying! But even if you don't get it, don't despair: experience brings us all up to better meta-getta-bility.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Agree, this one is not ambiguous, you are either solidly on the shore or you're not.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are definitely on shore - whee! After a couple of weeks stuck on the boat with splinters in the butt, it feels good to again be on the sand with pals..........maybe good news for the mugggggggggg?
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Happy to join the others on shore. A relief after struggling last week!
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I shouted "Wonder Twins - activate!", and my Google-fu went into overdrive and pushed me to shore. (I figured out the mechanism immediately, but couldn't possibly have found the actual solution without Monsieur G.)
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore. Trying to say this without being spoilerish, but it is possible to get this meta without having much NFL knowledge.
WBYonder

Post by WBYonder »

After a short hiatus last week, on shore.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Done and done. I watch too much football.
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

On shore. Easily searched once you suss the mechanism, even if you're not a sports nut (I'm certainly not, though I knew the name in question once I found it). I spent twenty minutes trying to overcomplicate things (I promise to update after the deadline), and ten seconds getting the answer once I realized what I was doing wrong.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

Ashore. Took a little fussing about and some googling for those of us who don't know much about this area of endeavor, but there's easily enough clues there to get it. Good one.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:54 pm I’m looking forward to the Monday morning quarterbacking — Margaret-Cho-Yma-Sumac complaints about whether this number should have been retired. Hell, the Steelers haven’t officially retired Bradshaw or Franco.
Bit of a spoiler there, isn't it?
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

On shore.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Inca wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:23 pm As I was doing the dishes, it hit me. I knew I had it. A quick Google and I was done.
Oh my gosh, that's JUST how it happened with me! This is a longstanding debate in my household: Mark says we need a new dishwasher, I say we don't. Now I have another argument against the purchase!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

WDunbar wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:12 am
Bird Lives wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:54 pm I’m looking forward to the Monday morning quarterbacking — Margaret-Cho-Yma-Sumac complaints about whether this number should have been retired. Hell, the Steelers haven’t officially retired Bradshaw or Franco.
Bit of a spoiler there, isn't it?
Well, it does name four people who cannot be the answer -- at least I don't think anyone has retired Margaret Cho's number yet. That still leaves a fair number of possibilities. But if Brian agrees with you, he's welcome to remove it.
Jay
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Had most of this pretty quickly last night. Just needed some sleep and a fresh look this morning to put a bow on it. It is a 100%er.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Had all but a crucial part very easily, then left for a potluck and it struck me out of nowhere... feeling good about it now!