"'E' Is For Extraneous" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Finally sat down to look at this and... wow. Really impressive construction.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Before the answer is revealed, here's the last group of successful solvers:

edestlin
Mikey G
ajk
Sharkicicles
BrennerTJ
whimsy

That brought us up to an even half century. Now on to the reveal...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "'E' Is For Extraneous":

E Is For Extraneous (solution).png

This week's MOAT will be one I constructed nearly a year ago but scheduled for this week. You'll find out why very soon!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
damefox

Post by damefox »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:00 pm Emma gave you a nice write-up in the Crosshare weekly review, Ben!
Aha! THIS is the crossword contest that meta was for! Sorry, Ben, for not mentioning that in the email. The other two metas that were mentioned were also Muggles Forum contests, and those I was able to find on here, but I missed this one.

And thanks, Joe! :)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

damefox wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:49 pm Aha! THIS is the crossword contest that meta was for! Sorry, Ben, for not mentioning that in the email. The other two metas that were mentioned were also Muggles Forum contests, and those I was able to find on here, but I missed this one.
No worries. You'll find all of my weekly metas here, in MOAT (which stands for Metas On A Tuesday). :D
damefox

Post by damefox »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:15 am Emma - @damefox - & Will - @AnswerPfinder - had a pilot podcast also linked in an email that was very well done. Both are founding members of crosshare.org with other intelligent, creative, hardworking folk.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know the entire story of crosshare. This is an appeal for it to be posted.
Fun fact: that podcast pilot has turned into an actual podcast! There's only one full episode so far (just released today!), but hopefully we will have more soon. You can find it if you search "Outside the Blocks" on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Amazon Music. (I'm working on getting it listed in more places.) You can also just go directly to the show website and listen there: https://outsidetheblocks.buzzsprout.com/.

Maybe we'll do a "history of Crosshare" episode if Mike (founder of Crosshare) has a few minutes to spare us. He is very busy with a new(ish) baby right now.