Put a Pin in It - September 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
jbird

Post by jbird »

I'm at a wall. Anyone up to providing a nudge?

Whew...got it - confirmed
Last edited by jbird on Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I'm in awe of everyone who solved the hard version. I didn't see anything there.
On the "easy" version - I have made SO much progress, but can't make sense of what I have come up with.

UPDATE: I had the answer, just had to mull it over and discuss with friendly muggle (thanks). I'm on the board.
Last edited by Katiedid on Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

We are 100% sure we have the answer … and yet, there is one tiny thing that is confusing us and preventing us from submitting. Would anyone who has been beamed up be willing to answer a question about that tiny thing? If so, please DM me … thanks all!

EDIT: Much thanks to @KayW and @Conrad for their responses! We’re confirmed. This group is the best!
Last edited by gpj73 on Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abide

Post by Abide »

three days on hard
thirty minutes on easy

imo hard version was unnecessary
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Made it with a little help from a friend. Really liked the mechanism.
Kevin
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Solved, but I did need to confirm with a fellow solver because, well, let's just say because without giving anything away.
bcg2312

Post by bcg2312 »

Anyone want to DM me a quick hint? I have about 5 ideas that I'm working on

thx!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Wow. Loved the construction! Fun to work through too. Took me long enough, though. I can't imagine anyone getting it with the hard version. I, like others, just clicked on the first PDF I saw, so I didn't know there was a hard version until reading about it here.
burak

Post by burak »

Unless I'm missing something, this was one of those metas where the journey is much more fun and satisfying than the answer you arrive at.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I submitted before 5:30 PM ET, today, & am hoping that Pete's auto-answer-checker doesn't like my capitalization, since I am not showing as submitting a correct answer.

I had a typo in my answer. All is good.

Thank you, @Petemuller!
PaPuzzler

Post by PaPuzzler »

I think I'm so very close and the end is near. Wondering if I could bounce my idea off someone to see if I am truly close or should just await next month. :) Anyone available for a quick DM?
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

PaPuzzler wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:45 pm I think I'm so very close and the end is near. Wondering if I could bounce my idea off someone to see if I am truly close or should just await next month. :) Anyone available for a quick DM?
If you haven't finished yet - you can hit me up with your question!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I asked for help/confirmation but took the plunge and submitted before I heard back, but heard back before my name appeared on the finishers' list. SO, I even though I attempted to get assistance, I think that this is a solo solve. Great mechanism.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

"This month’s randomly chosen winner of an MMMM coffee mug is Larry Bray"

Would that per chance be @lbray53 ? 🤞
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
hoover

Post by hoover »

I never got out of the rabbit hole of HAIR PIN.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:21 pm "This month’s randomly chosen winner of an MMMM coffee mug is Larry Bray"

It is indeed!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

lbray53 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:28 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:21 pm "This month’s randomly chosen winner of an MMMM coffee mug is Larry Bray"

It is indeed!
Woo hoo! Congratulations! Will it soon be added to your avatar?

As for the meta, I didn't get far with this one. Was trying to put the PIN in the starred answers, not use the starred clues.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
burak

Post by burak »

burak wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:10 pm Unless I'm missing something, this was one of those metas where the journey is much more fun and satisfying than the answer you arrive at.
I forgot to revisit this: I was missing a couple of things that were very obvious, 1) that the squares in question actually worked both ways AND 2) they ran across the puzzle! I just found 10 instances, wrote them on the side and then had to anagram SANER twice to arrive at the answer whereas the actual puzzle was much, much more elegant lol. Apologies Pete!