"The City & the City" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

I've stormed the castle and the castle. Great challenge, Ben. Thanks
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Across and stormed.

Needed to do much googling. But not complaining. Fun!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

MOAT crossed with an assist.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Whew, finally got it. Thanks, Ben!
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Some more solvers, bringing us up to 35:

emmie
BrennerTJ
Dave C
Gutman
Dow Jones
ChrisKochmanski
Carolyn
Johnny Luau
Bbaack
Spid4567
CPJohnson
Mr Tex
lbray53

Next update will be just before the nudges...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Took some gymnastics, but crossed the moat to the city...wait the city is not there!
castle first.jpg
Thanks Ben - couldn't resist.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Crossed the moat once the fog lifted and ahead of the nudges. Tough grid.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Five more solvers bringing us to 40:

Sharkicicles
markhr
DrTom
Darrell
ReB

And now for the nudges...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The clues with bracketed numbers reference two cities. Work out what those two cities are as a first step.

2. If you are struggling, the cities referenced in these clues are (in alphabetical order) Cairo, Dehli, Lima, London, Madrid, Moscow, Paris, Perth, Rome, Seoul, Sydney and Tokyo.

3. The clues with two cities result in a barely-pronounceable entry by incorporating the letters from each city in order. But not all of the letters are used.

4. The meta answer will only be recognisable to someone who has read the China Miéville novel!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

With two more solvers we reach Douglas Adams' meaning of life number, 42:

Julia
dplass

On to the answer reveal...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the answer and explanation for "The City & the City":

The City & the City (solution).png

This was definitely a niche meta. Essentially, it's a meta that only someone who had read "The City & the City" will fully appreciate. The combined city names mimics the way the two cities of the novel, Besźel and Ul Qoma, intertwine. And, of course, the meta answer is the secret, hidden third city of the novel! However, many of you still said you enjoyed the puzzle. And a few of you indicated you might even read the novel, which I highly recommend.

Next week's MOAT will be a "week 1". It's also a puzzle that was considered for inclusion on Pandora's Box. But since I was unwilling to change one of the theme answers, it didn't eventuate. I guess we'll find out if I should have made the change!