MEOW #92: The Hardest Crossword

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I got the Abenaki and Darzee answers through the Sticky Washington (plus Google) method until I realized that was ridiculous.

Great puzzle.

I'll miss your puzzles. For all our sake I hope when viewing the foreseeable future you prove to be very myopic.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
boharr

Post by boharr »

We will miss you Josh. @madhatter5 Come back as soon as you can.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Yes @madhatter5 you will be missed! Thanks for all the innovative metas.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Yes, @madhatter5, please hurry back!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Thanks for sharing your gems with us, I really enjoyed them. Hope to see them resurface! Cheers!
Ray
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Doh! Once again I shouldn't have given up so easily. I would have definitely failed the Mysterious Benedict Society tests. (Loved the books though! I read them with my kid, I'm much too old to have read them AS a kid.)

Thank you very much for sharing your creative, innovative, and enjoyable puzzles! Best of luck with your other pursuits, and hope to see you back here when you have more time!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Josh,

I remember discussing your first puzzles in several Tuesday Muggle Zoom sessions. There were some comments regarding non-conformity to standard crossword rules, but all agreed, to a person, that you are brilliant, creative, & ingenious. Your efforts, given your course loads, amaze me.

Thank you for your incredible contributions, past & future, to the meta world.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Josh,
Thank you for your creative, challenging and fun puzzles! You will be missed. Good luck in your future endeavors!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I know I will miss your challenging puzzles, Josh. You have helped me "break the rules" every so often.

All the best with your studies!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Josh, your puzzles have been fantastic and often been an inspiration to me as well. I know I'm not the most consistent solver (sorry!), but every time I've solved one, I've enjoyed the journey (or basically told overtly that I need more LATERAL THINKING, haha). You have played with some great meta-nisms, and I wish you the best of luck on your endeavors. Hopefully, we'll see you around here again soon and until then, keep changing the world and - of course - taking time for self-care as needed! (Coffee and cats help in my book!)

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Thank you all for the very kind and understanding comments. I should also say I am very thankful to every who has taken the time to try MEOW puzzles. You guys are some of the nicest and most brilliant community of people I know and one of the few corners of the web that can retain this level of wholesomeness, respect, and a darned lot of fun
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Josh,

The MEOW will not die, there are too many loyal fans. I am sure people will step up with their unchecked squares and odd grids proudly displayed. Yes, the MEOW is the MEOWWW (Wild Wild West) for all of us who want to do something a little different and know they will end up in a cruciverbal crucible if they do. We will still look for the occasional HARDEST CROSSWORD EVER experience and all thank you for LOTS of entertainment and originality.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!