MEOW #91 Talk Like a Sailor

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudged to the solution. Nice one!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well Day 2 and we have a few more solvers. No doubt that pesky WSJCC is getting in the way but that's OK this one will still be active two days after WSJCC is closed. So take your time, peruse the other puzzle, then come back to free this poor seagoing cat!!! New to the solvers list:

16 rjy
17 CPJohnson
18 edestin
19 Dave C
20 Cinny
21 benchen71
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

At about three bells this morning, I was lying awake wondering about what the mechanism for the WSJ might be (more accurately, trying to remember anything about that puzzle), when suddenly I realized what the mechanism for Sailor Talk had to be. And since I have never seen an episode of BBT, I had an extra step with Mr. G before the ship''s cat was finally roaming the decks.
Jay
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

FINALLY - a little nudge and the jig was up, as sailors say. Ditto on the visit to Mr. G.
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:42 am At about three bells this morning, I was lying awake wondering about what the mechanism for the WSJ might be (more accurately, trying to remember anything about that puzzle), when suddenly I realized what the mechanism for Sailor Talk had to be. And since I have never seen an episode of BBT, I had an extra step with Mr. G before the ship''s cat was finally roaming the decks.
So you three belled the cat?
Three Bells.jpg
We call him Jingles... :)

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmmmm - no new solvers, I guess everyone is waiting for "Nudge Saturday"? Well what the heck, let's break the rules and do Nudge Late Friday Night!!!

Sailors can talk to each other in many ways!

Sailor's language is frequently peppered with F words

You might hear a sailor say "Hey U, hand's up!"

If you have done both grids, compare them. Though different in shape there are some similarities
woozy

Post by woozy »

Needed just nudge 1. So annoyed I needed nudge one as I had gotten just about everything involved.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Great Meta. Needed nudge one. The answer is so perfect.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Waiting for confirmation but hoping the cat is free!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ergcat wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:07 am Waiting for confirmation but hoping the cat is free!
It is, as you now know. Unfortunately I stepped on his tail and he is meowing like a sailor.....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, three more for the list - I believe that Mr. Shenk and Mr. Gaffney are commanding everyone's attention at the moment - they sure have mine, not that it is doing a lot of good.

23 Beth Tyrpin
24 MaineMarge
25 Ergcat
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well....crickets! I've been banging my head against the Gaffney wall to no avail and probably many of you are as well. Tomorrow is the reveal so I'll provide one last SHOVE for those who are still curious and want to solve something at least. (I've gone back and solved my own three times just to make me feel better!)

In the "old" days, before radios and the like, sailors on different ships or those who were respectively on ships and on land who needed to "talk" used a communication method that would be very helpful to those seeking to free felines!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Two more intrepid souls have either finished the MGWCC or used sailor terms to dismiss it and solved the MEOW. Not an overwhelming response, but certainly, for me, a good show for a MEOW .

26 DowJones
27 Carolyn

Tom
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

The cat has escaped (hopefully not overboard). Creative puzzle. Thanks, Dr Tom !!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

As an old sea Cap'n, I'm embarrassed to admit that I needed all of @DrTom's nudges, but my cat is finally free!

Nice one, @DrTom!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well the good Captain brought his ship to shore (no doubt to off-load that darn cat) and finish out this week's MEOW. With Cap'n Rick there were a total of 28 solvers. Thanks to everyone who gave it a go. The VERY elaborate reveal is to follow.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well “Talk Like a Sailor” was better received than even I thought, and of course I am delighted. As constructors we really do not do this for ourselves, we do it to try to provide entertainment for our friends, and when they do enjoy one we are all ecstatic. If they are hard it really isn’t our aim, we WANT people to solve, we WANT the AHA. Therefore when something provides that, more’s the better.

This was actually an idea I had for some time but never could see how I might make it come to life because of the grid it would need. Then Josh did Jailbird and I saw the grid I needed. From there it was a fairly smooth process, well except for finding all of the short words. Believe it or not it is a lot harder to fill a grid with short words than long. Deciding how to designate my “flags” was easy, put F’s in those cells since F can stand for (F)LAG and Lord knows Sailor’s speak is littered with F words. Then it just entailed getting those F words into a 3 x 4 Grid.

I got that done and was feeling pretty smug when a terrible realization hit me. I was used to seeing humans waive those flags, and humans have a long torso. The Grid I made used that idea and therefore had an elongated bottom (see figure A). There were, in that figure, 10 possible positions whereas semaphore only has 8. Therefore I now had to create a separate 3 x 3 Grid that had only the 8 positions that semaphore letters are composed of (see figure B) in case someone Googled semaphore and got the 3 x 3 interpretation. That is why you got two grids.

Figure A
Semaphore MEN small.jpg
Figure B
Semaphore Symbols.jpg

How does one go about getting the answer? Well first you have to recognize it is semaphore that is the “mechanism” and then figure out the letters. Several people said they got VERY worried when they got the first two letters : F U ???????. Trust me, that probably never entered my mind - a statement which is up there with “Sure I’ll hold your sleeve of Oreos and no, of course I will not eat any of them!” There were also several people who said they ended up thinking “Talk Like a Pirate”. I can see why the jump was made, but there would have had to be less F words and more Rrrr words for that to happen. Anyway here are the illustrated solves for both versions.
Talk Like - Ver1 reveal graphic.jpg
Talk Like - Ver 2 reveal graphic.jpg

I do realize I once again let my TV watching habits sully my mechanism. I was surprised to find out how many people had never watched Big Bang Theory. To me that is like saying “Jeopardy, isn’t that some game show?” Luckily, unlike “Household Names”, you did NOT have to be a fan of the show to get the answer, but those who remembered Sheldon’s “Fun With Flags” podcast had an immediate confirmation. I thank all those who solved it, and also all those who just tried it
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Vexillology!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:40 amVexillology!
A vexing subject to be sure!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got to this one late. (We were traveling.) The cat, which had been bagged, is now free.

Very nice! Thanks, Dr. Tom.