"Power Play" August 5, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MMe wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:10 pm
flaringnostrils wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:16 pm156 is a perfect square of 14!
Not...really :)
There’s nothing as sad as a beautiful elegant theory being savagely torn to pieces by one lousy little cold heartless fact 😉
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

LadyBird wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:47 pm
Sticky trap and skunk are two things that do NOT belong together! Yikes!
I agree! We knew we had a critter, but never thought it might be a skunk! It was a shock when I found it the next morning!!!
Kathie
flaringnostrils

Post by flaringnostrils »

Hey, I was a history major.

"It was my understanding there would be no math".
calvinballing

Post by calvinballing »

With MADRIGAL and INSONG in the grid and a title of Power PLAY, I thought this was all about PLAYing music. FACE is also present, the mnemonic for part of the musical staff. The clue for META? A play about plays. What music is about playing music? The Sound of Music, and specifically Do-Re-Mi. Right in the center of the grid, SOLar is crossing TIled. Are there more? Yes! Each appears exactly once at the start of a word. That’s definitely not a coincidence!

DO-ZE
RE-FERRER
MI-NER
FA-CE
SO-LAR
LA-MBSKIN
TI-LED

Perhaps it is about POWER chords? Never could figure out how to use it to generate an answer though.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

calvinballing wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:06 am With MADRIGAL and INSONG in the grid and a title of Power PLAY, I thought this was all about PLAYing music. FACE is also present, the mnemonic for part of the musical staff. The clue for META? A play about plays. What music is about playing music? The Sound of Music, and specifically Do-Re-Mi. Right in the center of the grid, SOLar is crossing TIled. Are there more? Yes! Each appears exactly once at the start of a word. That’s definitely not a coincidence!

DO-ZE
RE-FERRER
MI-NER
FA-CE
SO-LAR
LA-MBSKIN
TI-LED

Perhaps it is about POWER chords? Never could figure out how to use it to generate an answer though.
This is a fabulous rabbit hole! Another one that I’d bet would have been a contender for the @The XWord Rabbit nomination if it had been posted sooner.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:20 am
calvinballing wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:06 am With MADRIGAL and INSONG in the grid and a title of Power PLAY, I thought this was all about PLAYing music. FACE is also present, the mnemonic for part of the musical staff. The clue for META? A play about plays. What music is about playing music? The Sound of Music, and specifically Do-Re-Mi. Right in the center of the grid, SOLar is crossing TIled. Are there more? Yes! Each appears exactly once at the start of a word. That’s definitely not a coincidence!

DO-ZE
RE-FERRER
MI-NER
FA-CE
SO-LAR
LA-MBSKIN
TI-LED

This is a fabulous rabbit hole! Another one that I’d bet would have been a contender for the @The XWord Rabbit nomination if it had been posted sooner.
Sooner. Later. Who cares?

@The XWord Rabbit
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

DO-ZE
RE-FERRER
MI-NER
FA-CE
SO-LAR
LA-MBSKIN
TI-LED

rsz_1rsz_goldenrabbitholeaward_nominee.png
The XWord Rabbit agrees.
There is no specific deadline and your method is certainly worthy of being nominated.
It is done!
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

First time to post here! I finally dog paddled ashore today— it was not pretty, but I am relieved to be on dry land after the last week’s square root debacle. The rabbit holes in this one were irresistible— I am still not sure if they were red herrings or hints. Cheers!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

BigPear wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:51 pm First time to post here! I finally dog paddled ashore today— it was not pretty, but I am relieved to be on dry land after the last week’s square root debacle. The rabbit holes in this one were irresistible— I am still not sure if they were red herrings or hints. Cheers!
Welcome to the muggle board! We’re always delighted to have new members! And I see you’ve picked up our lingo.

I believe you actually want to be on the

viewtopic.php?t=1781

shore though. That’s the current puzzle. This is the thread for last week, aka the square root debacle:)

BigPear

Post by BigPear »

Ashore! Very Shenky. This was a team effort with my sister, which probably freed up about 20 hours of my weekend.