"Position Statement" August 19, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ajk

Post by ajk »

KayW wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:05 pm Dang! I just read this and hopped onto the zoom room in hopes of hearing the calliope. But I missed the boat. And the calliope. Hope it was a happy solving session!
Fret not, the calliope was not in attendance (at least that I could hear).

Fortunately the usual collection of intrepid solvers were in attendance, with the result that I am now sipping maitais on the beach, albeit not without some sheepishness about how long it took me to catch on. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Alas, still keeping Isaac company.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

On the beach with the help of the Zoomers. I was so close yet so far!
Heidi
Al Laubenstein

Post by Al Laubenstein »

Never would have made it to shore without the zoom nudge. Still submitting, of course.
Barney

Post by Barney »

edestlin wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:49 pm The Zoom was just what I needed to solve my very first WSJ meta! What a nice group and I recognized a LOT of the same rabbit holes.
I love your avatar.
Gman

Post by Gman »

On the beach. Oof, these last few puzzles have really taken me down a notch. Grateful for the fellow Muggle life-lines.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Solved thanks to zoom!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:06 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:54 pm I am stumbling and fumbling and talking like a sailor! I am fairly certain what I should be looking for but I'll be darned if I can see it.
Hmmm - I think that if you knew what you were looking for, you would see it.
Funny, I have no idea what I'm looking for so even it was given to me I wouldn't know it!
Char

Post by Char »

Changed my position from sea to shore after Zoom confirmed my metanism.
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

Really enjoyed my first Muggle Zoom Room experience. For those who haven't tried it yet, it's well worth it, whether you've solved yet or not. Lots of fascinating ideas - some were rabbit holes, some turned into leads. An idea from one person triggered an idea in my head (which I hoped helped others too) that led me to the answer. Thanks to all of you - I will keep logging on as time permits whether I've solved or not.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

I know from personal experience that seeing the super-pro meta solvers solve so quickly, and post their acheivement on the forum early on Thursday, can be frustrating to those of us who struggle. The Friday Zoom session was designed not only to provide nudges. It was designed so that our brilliant participants could talk about what they had attempted. There is nothing more soothing to frustration than to share with others the attempts at a solve. "Yea, I tried that too. I'm not so stupid after all!"
This is a very special community and I thank everyone who adds to it!!!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Efox999

Post by Efox999 »

Thank you for the zoom room - both the confirmation that all my rabbit holes were shared by others and for the nudge that got me to shore.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm on shore thanks to the Zoom meeting.

I can't say that I was close to getting it before the big nudge on the call, but I was closer than I was for his last puzzle, Power Play. I hope I remember this one the next time he does something similar.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On the beach with a hint from the smartie pants at the zoom meeting, it's my favorite time of the week! Another incredibly clever meta, I don't know how they come up with new mechanisms every week, but I am appreciative!

On a totally non muggle topic, I planted a ton of milkweed this year to try and help the Monarchs. I've pulled some caterpillars into my screened porch to hopefully improve their survival rate. Here is a link to a video of one of my caterpillars molting into chrysalis, and butterflies eclosing. Fascinating process, awesome in the true sense of the word.

Chrysalis

Butterflies
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

After getting some help, I'm giving up. Thanks, you know who you are!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Ashore with a nice nudge.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

On shore.

The Cabana Boy is mixing the Bombay Sapphire martinis. Let's see if he can make them as well as Isaac (Doubtful, but we'll give it a shot).
Rufus T. Firefly
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Ashore after the Zoom meeting. Not sure I would have found the way. Feeling somewhat affirmed by others noticing the overwhelming (but wrong) evidence of where the mechanism should go.

Also, in case anyone had high enough resolution to see my beat up face, I lost a battle with my dermatologist’s liquid nitrogen bottle today. Encourage your kids and grandchildren to use sunscreen and wear hats.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
M and M

Post by M and M »

Very happily ashore solving this one with our grand-daughter. Doing our best to create a new generation of Muggles.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

On shore enjoying a chilled pinot Grigio. So many rabbit holes and it was nice getting a nudge as to which one to follow. Happy weekend to all.