"Risky Business" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat and enjoying a mead in the Great Hall!
Fun one! Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Wow, look at all the solvers, and we're not even at the 24 hour mark yet!

Laura M
BarbaraK
Cindy Weatherman
Cindy Heisler
Hector
markhr
lbray53
boharr
Meg
Capn Rick
jbird
edestlin
I K Snamhcok
dplass
rjy
Bbaack
Bird Lives
Tom Wilson
Johnny Luau
whimsy
Darth
Dave C
Carolyn
woozy
emmie
hoover
Qmark
DrTom
JHSeeman
KayW
LindaPRmaven
kymike
DebbieC
SJMcK
Mwoychick
Schmeel
Kat
kurtalert
kieranjboyd
Wendy S HeadinHome
kyakkat
ReB
Gutman
Ergcat
Abide

That's 45 so far. Congrats to Laura M - back at the top again!

And I'm loving the puns over in the Crosshare comments. My aim is to reply to every punny comment with another pun. It's proving challenging!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

That was great and put a big smile on my face. Keep punning over on Crosshare too!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
ajk

Post by ajk »

Late start but speedy crossing. Fun, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update, bringing us to 57:

ChemBrewer
Mikey G
Larry Edelstein
DIS
Mr Tex
Tyrpmom
Bad Moog Rising
Joe
spikeydlux
ajk
CPJohnson
BrennerTJ
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:06 pm ..And I'm loving the puns over in the Crosshare comments. My aim is to reply to every punny comment with another pun. It's proving challenging!
Yep - fun to pun freely over there since only those who have solved can see them. That category is a target-rich environment, pun-wise.
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm doing nudges early, since I have a busy morning tomorrow. Before that, though, here is the solver update:

Julia
Spid4567
dot
ellequin
MrTheHan
matty the blockhead
Golem
bereolos

That's 65 so far.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The clue for 36 across says "Not the answer to the meta, but definitely a related profession, and a hint to what to focus on in the grid". The entry is ANIMAL WRANGLERS.

2. Did you notice some animals in the grid? They weren't clued that way, though. (Please excuse the puns!)

3. First letters! I think it's the very first lesson of Meta Solving 101.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

5 more, bringing us up to a grand total of 70 solvers:

TMart
GR
Dow Jones
BobJas
Darrell

Well done everyone! Answer imminently...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Risky Business":

Risky Business (solution).png

Hope you enjoyed the puns!
hoover

Post by hoover »

This was a nice fun one that didn't have me beating my head against the keyboard in frustration.
Now that the answer has been posted, I do have one quibble because 24A is also an animal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skate_(fish)

However, the Led Zeppelin IV album does not need a vet, so I quickly omitted the S.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

hoover wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:26 pm This was a nice fun one that didn't have me beating my head against the keyboard in frustration.
Now that the answer has been posted, I do have one quibble because 24A is also an animal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skate_(fish)
That's true. But it wasn't clued using a pun, so it was safe to ignore. :)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Interestingly, according to Crosshare stats this was my easiest meta puzzle, with the hardest one just two weeks ago!

Image 001.png