MGWCC #740 — “Contact Sport”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ReB

Post by ReB »

woozy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:27 pm
339 overall and 337 solvers. So two wrong answers. .... so who is the other person keeping me company?
Twas I, because I got mixed up with the WSJ meta and thought the answer had to be a 4-letter word. That sent me into a weird rabbit hole that yielded a solution that of course was wrong.
woozy

Post by woozy »

mflaminio wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:29 pmHandoff
Uh.... If hand-off is acceptable than so should be In hands.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Handoff is a football play. In hands isn’t!
woozy

Post by woozy »

mflaminio wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:03 am Handoff is a football play. In hands isn’t!
Neither is Applause! The prompt never said it was a football play. The prompt just said it was something occurs in football games.

I'm a little miffed as I figured HAND OFF was the obvious answer but I should look at other terms in football and I found HANDS IN which seemed more valid (as we are putting the hands IN the entries and in no way are we taking the hands OFF). I'd be willing to accept that I (and you) simply blew it and we missed the meta completely because ... well, we did. But I'm kind of miffed if the wrong answer HAND OFF gets clemency but the equally (in)valid answer IN HANDS does not.

Oh well. I'm looking forward to my Comeback Badge which is one I've never earned before.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Ouch but okay. Handoff is actually a football play and occurs in many many football plays( usually with 2 hands). Hands in is not . Either way he was generous to accept it. I am only trying to explain how I solved it. Applause was great. Wish I thought of it. M