Troubled attempt at a meta (Let's meet for a drink)

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
woozy

Troubled attempt at a meta (Let's meet for a drink)

Post by woozy »

So I attempted a meta. Very experimental and amateurish. More to test waters than anything.

..... and I made a huge mistake that was hardly fixable. But I had stayed up so late... well, I made a real hack of a fix.

Anyway, just for giggles....

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/W5lr3i ... or-a-drink

First crossword I ever made... Don't laugh at the wonky kid.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Well, with a little push and shove, I did manage to complete the grid!
Not quite sure what that says about me, because this puzzle is, well...something!
Laugh? -- Never! I've been there in the new, and still somewhat goofy, constructor seat.
But I did do it for some giggles --
Including Acrosses 32, 40, and 46 and
Downs 6,9, and 25.

I need to mull more on the meta which could be difficult as I'm not that familiar with cocktail names;
And apparently it's not G-TDoMM afterall! :lol:
boharr

Post by boharr »

Did the grid. It was ….. something! You go woozy.
woozy

Post by woozy »

whimsy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:32 pm

I need to mull more on the meta which could be difficult as I'm not that familiar with cocktail names;
You will almost certainly need to google.

I just edited it to accept my original answer as well as my hack answer. My original answer doesn't actually work (I was so disappointed when I discovered that) but it's a much more well-known cocktail then the answer I hacked to make it work.

Don't worry too much about posting spoilers (it's kind of hard to spoil something this hacky). By the way, is the reveal button active? There's no time frame for this.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

The reveal button is active -- and I pushed it!
Good thing because I wouldn't have gotten any answers, and I'm still in the dark as to how they are derived!
Capturezzblindfold.PNG
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

woozy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:34 pm
By the way, is the reveal button active? There's no time frame for this.
Yes, the "Reveal" button is active. I am now looking for the "How to Backsolve" button. :lol:
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
boharr

Post by boharr »

All of the above.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Grid solved; but I had to reveal the meta answer. I enjoyed the creative clues and, shall we say, unusual grid entries!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Welp, people think differently than I do, I guess.

For backsolving The clue to 38 across is key. Consider that in light of the themers.

Yes, there were themers. Four of them. If they weren't clear by the entries, there was something kind of artificial about the clues. Again, clue to 38 A

Also, as always Title counts

======

Okay, A legitimate nudge: What do the themers have in common with each other?
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay, that went over like a lead balloon.

There were four cocktails in the grid.

SHIRLEY TEMPLE
HURRICANE
MARGARITA
PALOMA

I meant to also put in a SCREWDRIVER but somehow in transferring my notes, it got lost.

A SHIRLEY TEMPLE has 3 ingredients: Lemon-Lime soda, ginger all and GRENADINE
A HURRICANE has 7 ingredients: light rum, dark rum, LIME JUICE, ORANGE JUICE, passion fruit puree, simple syrup, and GRENADINE

A SCREWDRIVER has 2 ingredients: ORANGE JUICE and Vodka

A MARGARITA has 5 ingredients: LIME JUICE, Triple Sec, TEQUILA, crushed ice, salt
A PALOMA has 4 ingredients: Club Soda, Grapefruit Juice, TEQUILA, and agave syrup. (Oh, crap. Some recipes, indeed must also have lime juice)

The SHIRLEY TEMPLE intersects/meets the HURRICANE and share GRENADINE.

The HURRICANE was supposed to meet the SCREWDRIVER and share ORANGE JUICE but it didn't. The HURRICANE wasn't supposed to meet the MARGARITA and it wasn't supposed to share the LIME JUICE but it did.

The MARGARITA meets the PALOMA and shares TEQUILA. Nothing else. No lime juice. (grrrrrrr).

So a drink with GRENADINE, ORANGE JUICE, and TEQUILA (but no LIME JUICE) was supposed to be a TEQUILA SUNRISE.

When I saw I had effed up, realized I needed a drink with GRENADINE, LIME JUICE, and TEQUILA. So I googled. And came up with the MEXICAN FIRING SQUAD... but it required bitters. I couldn't really pound in an extra ROB ROY and a SAWYER (?????) so I hacked the META entry clue.

And that's the solution. MEXICAN FIRING SQUAD.

Bleh......
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

That's a tricky metanism! I had guessed that was the process but I didn't even start googling because I feared that I would find multiple recipes for the various cocktails. Oh, that and I didn't recognise all of the cocktail names in the grid!

Don't give up. I would argue that the meta crossword creation process gets easier the more you do... until you hit a plateau!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:04 am That's a tricky metanism! I had guessed that was the process but I didn't even start googling because I feared that I would find multiple recipes for the various cocktails. Oh, that and I didn't recognise all of the cocktail names in the grid!
Yeah, i discovered that and it made the creation less satifsying than I thought it would.

You might try me new one https://crosshare.org/crosswords/KtFzYp ... -what-am-i

It's much more conventional and is in all ways better.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm working on that one right now. I have seen some things, but I might need a nudge at some point!