"We'll Have Waters All Around" - March 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Still working to part the waters. (Our Cruise Director has me erroneously on shore.)
In fact, I've enjoyed three nights of esteemed company in Isaac's bar.
Moses.png
A long way from the promised land of Milk and Tiki Bars. But ... Faith!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

This is a tough one! The coast guard is here. They’re trying to get me into the life raft and I just can’t see it!!
Argh.
PJM

Post by PJM »

For a moment I thought my streak was coming to an end, but am happy to report I made it shore.

In honor of 26A, I'll have a Rusty Nail please!

Cheers, all!
drambuie.jpg
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Need Seal Team 6 to get me there by nightfall and I don’t think they’re a comin’ - going down with the ship.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Boharr pulled me into the life raft and got me to the safe shore! It wasn’t easy but he did it. I’m the one spitting and coughing and looking like a drowned rat. No mug for me and nothing from the tiki bar unless it’s oxygen!
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

I have an answer I ~think~ is right....I’ll submit and find out tomorrow!
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

Lost at the side of the canal...too soon?

Breezy grid, but wow. I need to take a few steps back for a while.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Finally on shore, thanks to BarbaraK! Got me dreaming of a post-Covid vacation!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

On shore, but not by any of my own doing. And not by any gentle nudges either- in the end, Someone had to actually TELL ME how to get the answer. It wasn’t gonna happen otherwise.

Actually I’m going to stay in the bar - the ship’s loudspeaker just announced:
“ATTENTION ALL SHIPBOARD MUGGLES- a class in remedial arithmetic will be starting in the back room of Isaac’s bar in 15 minutes”.
Sounds like better use of my time.
Gotta run now...
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Scraps wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:43 am
Tom Shea wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:23 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:42 pm ...
None of those things should happen if the owners are paying proper attention to maintenance. When I was in the Coast Guard we’d say that nearly every search and rescue case is preventable at the dock. These cases fit the profile.

Come to Florida, Tom. I’ll get you out on a boat that will run and stay afloat. The company I work for runs four boats and cuts no corners on maintenance, safety, or daily checks. We’ll cancel trips for weather or guest comfort, but never because we haven’t kept the boats in good condition.
Hard to predict when a crack is going to occur in a pvc pipe. Heck the navy can't predict when very expensive alloy pipe will crack.

That said, the big island boat and the earlier one here were very old and a little suspect on maintenance. The last one was bad luck and no one around who heard the bilge alarm (or no one that knew what it meant).
Rufus T. Firefly
burak

Post by burak »

I feel like with all the different ways of 1A-ing I've done in the past 24 hours, I'm very close to finding a proof for Riemann Hypothesis.

Nada on the meta front though.
Secret Adversary

Post by Secret Adversary »

I think I have it but would love some confirmation, if anybody would be so kind as to verify with me privately?
Happy to provide nudges if you see that I have solved.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Holy Moly! I tried about every method...Until the correct one!

On shore...on my back at the water’s edge and sputtering! 🏝💦
Konnie
Secret Adversary

Post by Secret Adversary »

Secret Adversary wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:01 pm I think I have it but would love some confirmation, if anybody would be so kind as to verify with me privately?
Thanks for the confirmation, friends! Count me ashore.
Happy to provide nudges if you see that I have solved.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Hi Muggles - I think I am onshore, but would love to confirm privately with someone...Thanks!

UPDATE: Confirmed ashore...Thanks Boharr and Hcbirker!! :D
wb93

Post by wb93 »

Can see my way to shore now. Thank you for the nudges.

This one scores high on the groan-meter for me, but wonder if that’s just because I was looking for something more.

Will raise a glass to all those who solved this week.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but as there are a number of bird and flower lovers in this group, (and maybe a couple puzzle lovers too), the WSJ+ has another multi-puzzle puzzle, this time spring themed. You solve 6 puzzles and use the answers to solve a 7th puzzle. Find it here. I'm amazed at some of the construction. I can't begin to imagine how they created the "Circle Of Life" puzzle.
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

I am dangerously at risk of my perfect 2021 streak ending. If someone could kindly nudge me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!
KayW

Post by KayW »

HunterX wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:43 pm Not sure if this has been mentioned, but as there are a number of bird and flower lovers in this group, (and maybe a couple puzzle lovers too), the WSJ+ has another multi-puzzle puzzle, this time spring themed. You solve 6 puzzles and use the answers to solve a 7th puzzle. Find it here. I'm amazed at some of the construction. I can't begin to imagine how they created the "Circle Of Life" puzzle.
Thanks! This looks fascinating. I am bookmarking it for when I either solve or (more likely, it looks like) fail on this week's MGWCC.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore. I grokked the answer on Friday then spent countless ways trying to back into it. Thanks to a friend for a very slight whisper of a nudge that helped me see the mechanism. Not submitting.