#76 - "Extremely Online"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Hector

#76 - "Extremely Online"

Post by Hector »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a group found online.

From the email:
Based on my recent track record I'm not gonna promise a new puzzle next week ... I might be a little burned out, to be honest. I haven't had a new idea in a while, and always seem to spend free time on other pursuits lately. Hopefully inspiration will strike before long.
Hector

Post by Hector »

A fine offering from, in fairness, a very understandably worn down constructor! All applause and gratitude to pgw.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Hector wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:53 pm A fine offering from, in fairness, a very understandably worn down constructor! All applause and gratitude to pgw.
Here. Here.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Lovely Aha! nanosecond. Not that easy to see the way forward, but doable.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:05 pm Lovely Aha! nanosecond. Not that easy to see the way forward, but doable.
I'd be interested to hear what jumped out first for you. Mine hit me in the face after I walked away and then came back to it.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I'm trying to step back from the Meta World a bit, myself, just as a solver. I'm still doing the main ones regularly, but am going to be a little scarce around here, as I try to focus on other parts of my life. Wanted to pop in for a minute, though, just to say how much I enjoyed this and all of Peter's metas. I'll be keeping an eye out for any he might throw out there in the future.
Meg

Post by Meg »

FrankieHeck wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:41 pm I'm trying to step back from the Meta World a bit, myself, just as a solver. I'm still doing the main ones regularly, but am going to be a little scarce around here, as I try to focus on other parts of my life. Wanted to pop in for a minute, though, just to say how much I enjoyed this and all of Peter's metas. I'll be keeping an eye out for any he might throw out there in the future.
I totally get it. Take care of yourself. That’s the most important. 🙂
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
boharr

Post by boharr »

Ditto
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Solved with a small nudge. Great puzzle, Peter. Thank you for all you do and please keep turning out puzzles, even if you need to make them less frequent.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I was just about to reach out to one or another of you for a nudge, then just like that I ... well, I don't want to give anything away. By the postings so far, I can surmise that my aha moment was very much like the bolts of lightning that others here experienced.

I liked this puzzle a lot. One of Peter's best, in my view. I won't mind if he pulls back on quantity as long as, when he does offer us a puzzle, it's as satisfying as this one.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I really liked this one-- first I've gotten in a while. Yes, one entry gave me the bolt after 10 minutes of nothing.

PGMCC?
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Neat meta, nice aha moment.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Any suggestions how to attract that lightning bolt in my direction? :P
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I finally got this one after nearly giving up! Thanks, PGW, for sharing all of your great puzzles.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

This one took several thinks to get. Loved it!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I was planning to give up on this one, but I guess I'll give it another look.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Anyone else have an issue with 48A?

No clue on the meta so far.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Meg

Post by Meg »

Scott Medvetz wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:09 pm Anyone else have an issue with 48A?

The clue should have been singular, as in "something a golfer replaces". I am not a professional clue writer. Nor do I play one on tv.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Meg wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:44 am
Scott Medvetz wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:09 pm Anyone else have an issue with 48A?

The clue should have been singular, as in "something a golfer replaces". I am not a professional clue writer. Nor do I play one on tv.
Nor am I. But on the heels of this week's WSJ mechanism, it did make me stop and look for other instances I might have missed.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain