#74 - "Team Players"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Answer submitted to PGW. Feel pretty certain about it, so unless I get a correction from PGW, considering it solved.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Another great puzzle! Think I have it, and I learned a few things in the process. Off the something.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Done and done!
Tina

Post by Tina »

That was fun! Baseball is the only sport I really know well!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I am guessing that I got the right answer since I haven't gotten a rejection email. A few weeks ago I threw in a quick guess and got back a wrong answer note quite soon. Now I put in my answer yesterday and still haven't heard so I think I am golden.

I really liked the meta on this one - just the right amount of tricky. For the last step I almost put in the wrong team until I did a little research since it was an unfamiliar topic for me and I made a certain assumption that my research proved wrong.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

bhamren wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:03 am
I really liked the meta on this one - just the right amount of tricky. For the last step I almost put in the wrong team until I did a little research since it was an unfamiliar topic for me and I made a certain assumption that my research proved wrong.
I also learned a lot in the process of solving this one!
boharr

Post by boharr »

bhamren wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:03 am Now I put in my answer yesterday and still haven't heard so I think I am golden.
That's been my experience as well.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Needed a few nudges but thought this one was really nice!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Discovered PGW with this one and am glad to finally see the answer. :) Excellent puzzle and I missed the final step...kept looking to no avail for a reference to a Red So(ck?)x, Marlin, Astro, Dodger or Angel in the grid (nice multi-piece red herring!).

Also, since I discovered his work I'm going through his meta archives and must say his work is improving greatly. 74 seems much more honed and professional-like than #1. I especially found it funny that he says he's basically ripping off Matt Gaffney but PGW#1 had a clue about a Fritz Lang collaborator and Gaffney used the same person in a clue this past week in one of his - either the WSJ or his own contest!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

When I saw that Lord Jim was the clue, I almost put down Indians. I have never read Lord Jim but have heard about it since I was a child. For some reason I assumed it was a Rudyard Kipling book about India. I am glad I looked up what it was about before I sent in my answer.