#69 - "Do the Twist"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Hector

#69 - "Do the Twist"

Post by Hector »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a five-letter word.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Very nice construction. Tough even when you know exactly what's going on.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I had the grid so messed up that I need to take a moment before I tackle the meta.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Hector wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:23 pm Tough even when you know exactly what's going on.
I can see exactly what's going on but I don't think I have enough pieces. :?

[continues searching]
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Solved after a nudge
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I have 4 of the 5 letters and know what the 5th must be, but I still can't see how to get it from the puzzle. So, as we said earlier, this one is a grind even if you know what you're looking for.

Update 10 minutes later: Solved, but I needed Google's help to verify an unfamiliar term.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Awesome construction!
pgw

Post by pgw »

C=64 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:32 am I have 4 of the 5 letters and know what the 5th must be, but I still can't see how to get it from the puzzle. So, as we said earlier, this one is a grind even if you know what you're looking for.

Update 10 minutes later: Solved, but I needed Google's help to verify an unfamiliar term.
I expect this would be most people's solving experience.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Loved it!

I got a slight nudge, but it really just confirmed that I was on the right track with my thinking.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I don't know what's worse, lagging on one of these when you all thought it was pretty easy, or lagging when you thought it was tricky. Half tempted to start an impromptu zoom brainstorming meeting for those who haven't solved it yet, but instead I'll just stare at it the rest of the day. :shock:
Meg

Post by Meg »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 pm Loved it!

I got a slight nudge, but it really just confirmed that I was on the right track with my thinking.
What I needed and got was hardly a slight nudge. More like a big shove. Even after you know what to do, it’s still haaaaaaaaaard.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I’m doing the twist and shout. (I got nothing)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it with a much needed nudge.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Meg wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:30 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 pm Loved it!

What I needed and got was hardly a slight nudge. More like a big shove. Even after you know what to do, it’s still haaaaaaaaaard.
Let me qualify: I stared a loooooooong time before I began to see a hint of something. The nudge confirmed that, yes, I was getting warm. And by eliminating other rabbit holes, it made things easier -- though still not easy. Even after seeing the route, it was still a slog, but I knew I'd eventually get there.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

For those from my generation who remember this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh8eb_ACLl8
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Aaaah I think I got it!! I confused myself with not one but two misconceptions, but I finally shook them both off. A certain course I taught years ago came in handy in the end. Very impressive.
Abide

Post by Abide »

A friend sent me the complete grid. After a day I asked for and received the answer. I still had no way of knowing how to get there. Many of these cry out for a better title, "helper entry", or a more instructive "easy version" so the other 95% can enjoy. This is not a rant, just my observation.

Notwithstanding that, much respect to PGW for cranking these out week after week! Just throw in a Week 2 or 3 once in a while ;) !
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I see something. Maybe tomorrow I can figure out what to do next. Lots of time.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

This is my only one left for the weekend. Completed the grid on Tuesday and didn't immediately see anything obvious so set it aside. Back to it now. Hopefully I find an inroad somewhere.

Nice job to those who solved it, sounds like it's a toughy!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I had to throw in the towel on this one... I gave it a good couple of days, but I don't think it was going to happen, and MGWCC took over my brain anyway. I look forward to the solution and a new puzzle! Kudos to those who solved it!