#59 - "Keep Your Head Above Water"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Hector

#59 - "Keep Your Head Above Water"

Post by Hector »

The answer to the metapuzzle is seven letters long.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I have the answer, pretty much for sure, but can't quite make it work. I'm sure there's a cleverness I'm missing!

Edit: there was, indeed; I'd been making an incorrect assumption.
Last edited by Hector on Tue May 05, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg

Post by Meg »

No idea.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I'm not certain where to start, either. However, I have plenty of time to work on this.
boharr

Post by boharr »

The grid is difficult.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I have almost everything, but won't "pull a Sisti" until I wrap up every thread.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I’ve risked a Sisti and submitted, even though I suspect there may be one thing I’m missing, to make this one come together perfectly. We’ll see!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:14 pm I’ve risked a Sisti and submitted, even though I suspect there may be one thing I’m missing, to make this one come together perfectly. We’ll see!
I'm betting we're at the same place. I'm certainly comfortable sending mine in if the deadline creeps up on me.
ChrisKochmanski

Peter confirmed I’m correct. Fun puzzle, though possibly lacking that last firm click that would have made it among my favorite PGWCCs. I had to google for only three letters to complete the grid. That’s not bad for me on a PGWCC.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Man, this job of mine sure gets in the way of getting metas done! Nice job Chris, Hector and others getting this so quickly! Still struggling mightily with the grid (haven't googled yet).
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I just had a strange experience. Saw a tweet about a guy who was going to solve a Sid Sivakumar puzzle on Twitch. I thought why not, I'll take a look. But he must have finished Sid's, and was filling in PGW's "Keep Your Head Above Water!" Apparently he solves them every week on his Twitch channel. I watched the grid solve (he was way faster than I was) but bowed out before they started trying the meta.
ChrisKochmanski

joequavis wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:10 pm Man, this job of mine sure gets in the way of getting metas done! Nice job Chris, Hector and others getting this so quickly! Still struggling mightily with the grid (haven't googled yet).
Well, I can confirm that being semi- to mostly retired definitely allows the time for more meta puzzling.

This meta was a case where I was getting nowhere fast, and then just saw something. There was one last week, Brian Mac's "Sports Illustrated", where I stared and stared and stared, then got several nudges from another solver, before I handed the grid to my wife, and she said, "Is it (correct answer)?"
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Ok, pretty sure I got it. I think I'm 3/3 today! Dare I try to solve the Mega Meta? I just haven't had the mental energy to try.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Like Chris and Al - have an answer but not all the pieces to fully justify it. Trying to find what I am missing to wrap it all up with a bow.

Post and solve - have it all wrapped up with a bow.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

The last piece finally fell into place this morning... had more trouble finding it than I should have.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:59 am The last piece finally fell into place this morning... had more trouble finding it than I should have.
This is not at all encouraging to my struggles.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Well, I’m pretty sure I have the meta. I don’t have the last piece, which I feel like I need to get before submitting.
(A few minutes later). Just love Google! Submitted. Why are Peter's metas so challenging?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Enjoyed this one. Stared at it for a long time, and then something just popped out at me! Love it when that happens!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm sure I have the answer, but I think that I'm missing the "tie it up in a bow" part that many here managed to find. I'll keep working on it!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

This is the first time I've tried this meta. I'm pretty sure I know the answer but, as others have noted, there is one missing piece that would confirm all.

I'm going to submit what I have. But I sure would like that last piece to fall into place.

I won the prize on another meta the first time I submitted. I wonder if my luck will be the same here.