#59 - "Keep Your Head Above Water"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I'm a little worried about my answer now, because I wasn't missing a piece...but I feel like it had to be right.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I started the grid late last night and got the solution this morning. I still have that loose end that I’d like to cover before I submit. When is the solution due?
Got the rest—great puzzle! Happy Mother’s Day to all.
Last edited by oldjudge on Sun May 10, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

Double header was too much for me and I think Sam and I couldn't even finish this grid without googling. Still working on the WSJ contest. I like having these puzzles to check out when I finish WSJ and MGWCWC but we're not there yet this week!!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I think I have this figured out. Still missing letters, but understand the mechanism.

Answer is due at 11pm pacific time on Monday. I will submit what I have before then if I can’t find what I am missing.
camandsampowercouple

Taking another crack at this one because I realized how close I was to getting the WSJ this week and Im addicted to that itch. Anyone else need google to solve PGW grids? lol
camandsampowercouple

ok ive got the grid done. really liked learning all sorts of new stuff w/ the puzzle. i love googling stuff w/ metas it's all about fact checking and making sure i have the correct grid and especially w pgw theres so much obscure stuff
camandsampowercouple

ok ive got the grid done. really liked learning all sorts of new stuff w/ the puzzle. i love googling stuff w/ metas it's all about fact checking and making sure i have the correct grid and especially w pgw theres so much obscure stuff
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I think I have wrapped this one up. I seldom get through one of Peter's grids without Google help.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Every day I spent a few minutes looking at this one and seeing nothing. This morning it jumped off the page.
pgw

Post by pgw »

Geoduck wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:15 pm I won the prize on another meta the first time I submitted. I wonder if my luck will be the same here.
Since the prize consists only of whatever feeling you get from solving the puzzle, everyone's a winner ...
burak

Post by burak »

My answer is missing a couple of elements but I'm very pretty sure I'm on the right track and in fact, I can infer the answer. I wonder if this happened to others as well.

Edit: Re-reading the comments, I now know it happened to everyone lol.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

camandsampowercouple wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:56 am ok ive got the grid done. really liked learning all sorts of new stuff w/ the puzzle. i love googling stuff w/ metas it's all about fact checking and making sure i have the correct grid and especially w pgw theres so much obscure stuff
This week was the first PGWCC I ever tried. I had seen the comments about his puzzles being hard, so I was expecting a difficult solve. I found the grid moderately challenging, but didn't need the Google machine at all, and I solved the meta immediately. I suspect this won't be the case every week.

I wish the WSJ meta came to me as easily.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

pgw wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:34 pm
Geoduck wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:15 pm I won the prize on another meta the first time I submitted. I wonder if my luck will be the same here.
Since the prize consists only of whatever feeling you get from solving the puzzle, everyone's a winner ...
I did not know that! (Said in my best Johnny Carson intonation.)

I still enjoyed the puzzle and meta and expect to do them from now on. Thank you for creating them.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Did you read the "bonus feature" writeup in today's post? Wow...
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:28 am Did you read the "bonus feature" writeup in today's post? Wow...
Wow, indeed! Sorry I missed finding it. I always feel like I've let the teacher down when I miss the meta. And now I guess I have to worry that I'm missing a bonus meta! I'll never sleep again.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Fun surprise in there!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Wow indeed. Now we've got mega-metas, bonus features, red herrings . . .
TMart

Post by TMart »

Cool Easter egg on this one. The islands weren't happening for me, though. Geography and I don't get along - I have trouble finding my way home some days.