#58 - "Double Header"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Just found this one last night and finished it this morning. This is my second try at Peter’s puzzles and I am 2/2. I’m sure that streak will end soon, but it’s fun while it lasts. BTW, I thought the puzzle was great. Peter should start a subscription service like Matt.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

the solution to this one still eludes me
burak

Post by burak »

bhamren wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:03 pm This is my third week trying one of the PGW crosswords. So far the third one I did not get. I will keep at it.

I find them very different than WSJ or Matt Gaffney's. I have missed one WSJ all year and 2 MGWCC (although I did need a nudge the past 2 weeks). I never would have gotten last weeks because I didn't recognize the foods after the answer was posted.
I went 0/6 initially, now I'd say I'm at about a 60-75% get rate. It is a different beast for sure and takes some time to get used to the cadence.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

I did not get this one but now that I see the answer, it's ingenious!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

In his write-up, Pete said:
A healthy number of entries came in for this one, almost all correct … but it seems you all missed something. Didn’t I say it was a double header? Anyway, if you feel like it, give it another look. If not, I’ll tell you what this was about next week.
I thought the double header just referred to the solve method...no idea what else is being referred to, so (as suggested) taking another look. So far, nada.
pgw

Post by pgw »

RPardoe wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:25 pm In his write-up, Pete said:
A healthy number of entries came in for this one, almost all correct … but it seems you all missed something. Didn’t I say it was a double header? Anyway, if you feel like it, give it another look. If not, I’ll tell you what this was about next week.
I thought the double header just referred to the solve method...no idea what else is being referred to, so (as suggested) taking another look. So far, nada.
Reading this post I realize that what I wrote in the write-up might sound a little more scolding than what I intended ... Everyone who submitted (with one exception I think?) submitted the correct and complete answer to the metapuzzle. And yes, the title refers to the solve method. But the title is, fittingly, doing double duty, and there's something else going on in the puzzle. It's not directly related to the metapuzzle that yields the answer OODLES, and it's not something solvers were expected to see ... but I did hope some would see it.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

pgw wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:53 pm
RPardoe wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:25 pm In his write-up, Pete said:
Reading this post I realize that what I wrote in the write-up might sound a little more scolding than what I intended ... Everyone who submitted (with one exception I think?) submitted the correct and complete answer to the metapuzzle. And yes, the title refers to the solve method. But the title is, fittingly, doing double duty, and there's something else going on in the puzzle. It's not directly related to the metapuzzle that yields the answer OODLES, and it's not something solvers were expected to see ... but I did hope some would see it.
You should work on that ("might sound a little more scolding than what I intended").