#57 - "Preposition Cook"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Never in a million years. What's "beans on toast"? Do people eat that?
Hector

Post by Hector »

Pretty sure this is the first time I've seen THE TOAD HOLE in a crossword!

EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Dplass wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:56 pm Never in a million years. What's "beans on toast"? Do people eat that?
I have never heard of beans on toast, chicken under a brick, or toad in the hole so there was no hope for me either. I kept trying to make sous chef work, since sous is a French preposition, and chef is a cook.
pgw

Post by pgw »

Dplass wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:56 pm Never in a million years. What's "beans on toast"? Do people eat that?
British people (same ones that gave us toad in the hole) do.

Chicken under a brick, which is far more delicious, originally comes from Tuscany, the home of the world's best food.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

turns out i was right. the long vertical entries were throwing me off. I was sure i was missing something with kippers, quaaludes being close to quail....idk. still enjoyed it
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I saw all three, but didn’t get it because I wanted to use all the food.
pgw

Post by pgw »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:54 pm I saw all three, but didn’t get it because I wanted to use all the food.
Shoot - I did worry about that a little, but thought that because there was no obvious way to pair any of the other foods with a preposition - and because those three foods, placed in three symmetric grid entries, were paired with prepositions that spell out one of the most widely known French words imaginable, that would be enough to confirm that none of the other food in the grid was involved. Sorry if this ended up being misleading.

I could have changed KIPPERS easily (though as one solver pointed out, it ended up being a rather fitting red "herring" - not an intentional pun but I'll take it ...); MAC ATTACK and MANIOC ended up being pretty forced by the constraints on the fill, at least as far my constructing abilities go.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

i also thought there was something going on with uppers and downers. QUAALUDES, NODOZE, COFFEEBEANS.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

pgw wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:11 pm
Beth Tyrpin wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:54 pm I saw all three, but didn’t get it because I wanted to use all the food.
Shoot - I did worry about that a little, but thought that because there was no obvious way to pair any of the other foods with a preposition - and because those three foods, placed in three symmetric grid entries, were paired with prepositions that spell out one of the most widely known French words imaginable, that would be enough to confirm that none of the other food in the grid was involved. Sorry if this ended up being misleading.

I could have changed KIPPERS easily (though as one solver pointed out, it ended up being a rather fitting red "herring" - not an intentional pun but I'll take it ...); MAC ATTACK and MANIOC ended up being pretty forced by the constraints on the fill, at least as far my constructing abilities go.
No worries. It’s unusual to have a three letter answer and I just didn’t get this one.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Yeah, I was trying to find new "preposition dishes" -- actually forced a couple -- but finally went back to just the first three solely because of the symmetry.