#55 - "That Sounds Different"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Al Sisti

#55 - "That Sounds Different"

Post by Al Sisti »

Peter's meta this week is called “That Sounds Different” (there is a hard version and an easier version). We're looking for a five-letter word. Happy solving!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Hey, I'm glad someone started this new topic. Good meta (I did the harder version).
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Enjoyable solve experience with (for me) a nice AHA that led to the desired answer.
(Used hard version of puzzle).
Meg

Post by Meg »

That was fun! :D
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Agree with all of the above. Good meta. Fun!

I too did the harder version. I don't believe the easier version was needed. Though I suppose it's a nice option for folks who are more in the territory of meta newbies.

PGWCC continues to surprise and satisfy!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Got it - harder version. I haven't yet looked at the easier version to see what the difference was. Very enjoyable puzzle all around.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

OK, shame on me, but all of a sudden I had three different metas open on my laptop and I was getting them all confused in my head and I panicked and peeked at the easy version of this one and so yeah. That was a great puzzle.

It's one of those days where I'm feeling distracted and pessimistic, so this may be the only one I finish today.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I think that the only difference between the easy and harder versions is that the easy version has asterisks next to certain clues. Even with that help, I am confused on this one.
Last edited by ky-mike on Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

ky-mike wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:23 pm I think that the only difference between the easy and harder versions is that the easy version has asterisks next to certain clues. Even with that help, I am confused on this one.
At least your'e not alone.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

boharr wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:36 pm
ky-mike wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:23 pm I think that the only difference between the easy and harder versions is that the easy version has asterisks next to certain clues. Even with that help, I am confused on this one.
At least your'e not alone.
I’ve got a word, but can’t relate it to the theme (but maybe it shouldn’t).
Last edited by ky-mike on Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Please don't spoil it for people only doing the hard.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Dplass wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:43 pm
Please don't spoil it for people only doing the hard.
Sorry about that. I have edited my posts, but can’t edit where I was quoted.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I sent in a wrong answer that I hope gave PGW a little laugh. When I feel the need to explain I should probably think about it a little longer.
I sent in a new answer that is much more elegant.
Hector

Post by Hector »

The hard version seems like a week 2 or 2.5 to me. "Clever and impressive construction" kinda goes without saying by now.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I'm just not getting what PGW is layin' down. Even the easy version. Ah well. WSJ in 2 days!
TPS

Post by TPS »

Dplass wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:48 pm I'm just not getting what PGW is layin' down. Even the easy version. Ah well. WSJ in 2 days!
Same - I did the easy version. I got all the theme clues. Not only could I not get the meta but I couldn't even finish the grid. Even googling. This is the toughest puzzle I have ever done. In years of doing grids this is definitely the toughest I have ever attempted.

I feel like he made up for last weeks easy puzzle by making the gird super tough and the meta next to impossible.
TPS

Post by TPS »

I'll never do PGWCC again on a Tuesday - waiting a week for the answer is going to annoy me to no end. This is definitely going to have to be a Sunday or Monday night puzzle for me so I can just do it - spend an hour not getting the meta and then looking at whatever insane method he has come up with the next day.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

This required less Googling than the MMMM today! Fun one, did the hard version.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Ah, finally saw the light. Probably...
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

I did the easier version as I have not been able to mind-meld with Mr. Washington on my previous few attempts. Now that I've got one under my belt (I assume) I'll take off the training wheels.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain