"Title Search" - April 2021

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
stmv

Post by stmv »

I didn't find this to be all that easy. I noticed something early and for some reason dismissed it as a coincidence, then took it more seriously later and (of course) it was not a coincidence at all. Now I'm safely on the leaderboard, yay.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

first time trying MMMM.......and on the board.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Here's what I submitted with my answer:
"I did this on my phone through the WaPo app and it was NOT a good idea. 11.5 minutes to finish the grid, 11.5 hours to finish the meta (after I decided to print it and fill the grid by hand). I ridiculously overcomplicated things."
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Got it!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

On the board. I blame vaccination #1 for not being able to see this yesterday. So very tired and foggy. Not looking forward to #2.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

And add me to the list (oh, Pete did already) of those sussing out the Red Herring this month.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Been away for a couple of days. On the board.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

On the board.
This one took me a while - I just couldn't see it...
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Feeling like an absolute dope because everyone is talking about how easy this is and I don’t even have a starting point. 🙃🙃🙃
Hector

Post by Hector »

I expect certain solvers who are definitely not dopes are nonetheless disadvantaged on this one.
KDubs wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:15 pm Feeling like an absolute dope because everyone is talking about how easy this is and I don’t even have a starting point. 🙃🙃🙃
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Hector wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:28 pm I expect certain solvers who are definitely not dopes are nonetheless disadvantaged on this one.
KDubs wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:15 pm Feeling like an absolute dope because everyone is talking about how easy this is and I don’t even have a starting point. 🙃🙃🙃
Thanks! I’ll keep at it. The upsetting thing is this is the era of music I primarily listen to, so I feel like something should have clicked by now.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Got it!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I am on the board or have dropped a dime in the jukebox or whatever the metaphor is here...Nice aha moment with the solve. For whatever reason in my musical education I associate that song/album with 1970. And as a bonus, we can cross off one of the more plausible choices for the red herring....

Oh, and it looks like the Wise family was mighty busy late last night...
Attachments
wise.JPG
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Solved, submitted and on the Leader Board! And thanks for the earworm!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm on the board with a little nudge to help get me back on track.

Count me as one of those who was disadvantaged on this puzzle as Hector put it. Now I understand how many people saw it instantly and I spent hours without seeing it.
ReB

Post by ReB »

On board, after finally taking a serious look at the meta and following a stroke of inspiration. Brought back mixed memories.

Not sure though how I can be both on board and on the shore...
nrv8llc

Post by nrv8llc »

I need a hint; I’m floundering.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I finally figured it out. I think! I will edit when I get confirmation, one way or the other!

Once again I read about how easy this was supposed to be, which added to my frustration, until I saw the light.

EDIT: I scored the song title!
Last edited by lbray53 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

nrv8llc wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 pm I need a hint; I’m floundering.
Hello, and welcome!

Open requests for hints often don’t work well. You may get so many replies that the combined info spoils the puzzle for you. Or you may get none because everyone assumes that plenty of others have already answered.

If you got the latter, try sending a PM directly to one or two people who have posted that they’ve solved - me if you wish. Include a list of some things you’ve tried and also, since this is a music meta, what types/vintages of music you’re into. That will make it easier to provide the minimum nudge that will let you find the solution and still have the joy of the aha moment.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I think I got this one. The song is old enough for me, anyway, and now I've got the earworm. Helps me to write down the key answers outside the grid. Sometimes, the words just fall into place.