"Title Search" - April 2021

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On shore and on the board. I went down a rabbit hole and then with fresh eyes, I got it.
burak

Post by burak »

There is one type of meta that always makes me suffer. If this turns out to be one of those, I'll be semi-pissed. If this one is actually easy and I'm just missing it, I'll be super pissed. Well I have about 8 more hours to go, so we'll see.

Update: Holy moly I had a desperate last minute guess and it turns out to be correct?!?! This is my 2nd successful meta answer with absolutely zero clue as to what's going on (first one was AMUSED for MGWCC)

Update 2: Oh my God in retrospect that was sooooooo easy! I love that album and the answer was staring at me. I guess my subconscious solved the puzzle and was like "bruv come on you know this is the answer but I can't get it through your clouded brain for Pete's sake"
BethA

Post by BethA »

So ashamed to confess that I was in such a hurry — I got unite and did a search and thought it was confirmed by a Don Cherry song. I’ll take more time next month! As soon as I saw that I wasn’t on the leader board, and took another look, I knew it was Come Together. I’m usually pretty good at these...
KayW

Post by KayW »

BethA wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:41 pm So ashamed to confess that I was in such a hurry — I got unite and did a search and thought it was confirmed by a Don Cherry song. I’ll take more time next month! As soon as I saw that I wasn’t on the leader board, and took another look, I knew it was Come Together. I’m usually pretty good at these...
Beth you took the words right out of my mouth. Me, too! It was particularly mortifying to me because I am a lifelong Beatles fan.
But in my defense, as a musical Neanderthal I am used to having to Google Pete’s answers and if it’s something I never heard of, I don’t know if it’s truly obscure or just my musical ignorance. How cruel is it that the first step UNITE is also a 1969 song?!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

With Pete’s metas, whenever I have an answer I’m not quite sure of, I ask myself, “Does that sound like something Pete would sing?”

When I got to unite, I was torn between Come Together and Get Together for the song. And even though Come Together was another Beatles song, Get Together sounds more like something Pete would sing. I just didn’t know which way to go.

Deeper googling revealed that while Get Together was a hit in 1969, it was actually released in 1967 but took two years to get popular. So I went ahead and submitted Come Together and kept my fingers crossed.

I’m looking forward to hearing Pete’s performance this month!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Barbara, I will add that to my list of steps for this contest. Right before the new mandatory 24-hour waiting period I'm going to enforce on myself before submitting :roll:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Was the April puzzle worth 2 points? I notice I have 4 right and 5 points and haven't done the mega-meta or red herring....
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:30 pm Was the April puzzle worth 2 points? I notice I have 4 right and 5 points and haven't done the mega-meta or red herring....
I think so. I have the same score.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I just saw that the winner hasn't replied to Pete's email yet. I immediately checked my spam filter, but no luck.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Just saw an interesting thing: this puzzle had 339 correct solvers to March's 494, whereas it was rated 2.87 in difficulty versus 3.00 in March. I guess people who know the Beatles found this easy, and those who don't didn't submit.