"Moving Target" - March 2021

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Solved— fun one!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

On the board!

Tough grid, easier meta. I liked it!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Maybe I was misunderstood earlier? I do the vast majority of crosswords online in apps. WHEN I do a printed puzzle, I do it in pen, with the exceptions noted previously.

I don’t recall seeing the apple pen for pdf puzzles mentioned before, will check it out, to see if I’d like it for the few puzzles that I currently do print.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I enjoyed the grid. Lots of stuff I don't know, but all with crossings I could figure out. Had the meta early and used it to find and fix one area.

One nitpicky question for the experts though - does Yellen really care about 11D? There is a similar term that I see in the news quite often. I don't recall seeing 11D anywhere except crossword puzzles in ages. One recent puzzle had it clued with a speech from the 60s which seemed about right.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I KNOW I have the right answer - submitted it and got an email confirmation - but I’m not getting on the leaderboard. What’s up? Can someone who IS on the board pm me to check my answer?

“I won’t be igNORED, Dan!...”

Oh I bet he wanted the WHOLE name. Dang it. But I do have a valid argument for my shorter version. Grrr
The other Wendy. :roll:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:22 pm I KNOW I have the right answer - submitted it and got an email confirmation - but I’m not getting on the leaderboard. What’s up? Can someone who IS on the board pm me to check my answer?

Oh I bet he wanted the WHOLE name. Dang it. But I do have a valid argument for my shorter version. Grrr
Email Pete. I did something similar last year and he gave me a pass.
Heidi
TMart

Post by TMart »

One of my favorite bands. Nice to get a win for a change, as Matt is killing me for the second week in a row.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

hcbirker wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:47 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:22 pm I KNOW I have the right answer - submitted it and got an email confirmation - but I’m not getting on the leaderboard. What’s up? Can someone who IS on the board pm me to check my answer?

Email Pete. I did something similar last year and he gave me a pass.
DONE! I have a good argument. Of course.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:16 pm I enjoyed the grid. Lots of stuff I don't know, but all with crossings I could figure out. Had the meta early and used it to find and fix one area.

One nitpicky question for the experts though - does Yellen really care about 11D? There is a similar term that I see in the news quite often. I don't recall seeing 11D anywhere except crossword puzzles in ages. One recent puzzle had it clued with a speech from the 60s which seemed about right.
Economists don't use that term much these days. The quick fix is ORAD going across, a really crummy word that still crops up in some puzzles. A better fix is to make 8A "Philadelphia food convenience store chain" and 17A "Composer Khachaturian."
Last edited by Bird Lives on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I don’t know is Yellen is interested in it, but the United States abandoned the use of GNP in 1991 and instead began focusing on GDP when comparing our economy to that of other countries. GDP looks at the amount of economic activity within a country’s borders while GNP looks at the amount of economic activity generated by the country’s people worldwide.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm on the board now. I had it mostly figured out yesterday but went in the wrong direction at the end.

I've never heard of this band before, so that didn't help either.

What's going on with the leaderboard? Are these real names?

Code: Select all

Screen Name # Correct Total
DIS         4         8
THRILLPOOL  4         8
LL          4         7
Pete M.     3         7
Meg

Post by Meg »

Done and done
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Got it - one of my favorite bands, and honestly one of my favorite metas in quite some time. I really enjoyed this puzzle and am looking forward to his cover this month!!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The mechanism is much easier to solve than construct. I tried to compose a comment using the same idea and couldn't come up with anything except a spoonerism.
Jay
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Maybe I'll try to think of something with the mechanism after the contest is over.

Once I did something similar in the WSJCC thread while the contest was live and it was removed. I think the rules are a little looser here but I'm not going to risk it.
pmxwords

Post by pmxwords »

What's going on with the leaderboard? Are these real names?

Code: Select all

Screen Name # Correct Total
DIS         4         8
THRILLPOOL  4         8
LL          4         7
Pete M.     3         7
[/quote]

Hi Eric - There are four people that have gotten the Red Herring, and they've each gotten 5 bonus points. There is no bonus for getting it early, and you only get one shot (unlike the mega-meta, where you get multiple tries, but incorrect guesses cost 1 point).
jim32809

Post by jim32809 »

After a dismal failure last week, I'm back with another point this week.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

On the board. I’m embarrassed to say I had to look up what musical supergroup meant! Also I did this puzzle when I was super tired and it took me a few days to get back to it. Grid was hard but I enjoyed the meta.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Challenging grid. The meta took a bit more effort than Jan and Feb but was still eminently solvable and enjoyable. Very creative.