"Moving Target" - March 2021

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
RPardoe

"Moving Target" - March 2021

Post by RPardoe »

The meta for this puzzle is a musical supergroup.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Huh. I got the submission confirmation email with what I'm certain is the correct answer, there have been updates since I submitted, and yet I'm not on the board.

Edit: Pete has shown mercy and I'm on there.

Anyway, nice grid and amusing meta.
Last edited by Hector on Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On the leaderboard :notes: fun one!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I submitted before starting the grid and ended up at #2, then filled the grid and solved. First time I've ever done that before, I guess I got a wild hair. Can't believe I wasn't # 1 though!!
BethA

Post by BethA »

spotter, your way certainly saves time! I can’t imagine how you did it though. Please enlighten us after the deadline.

I got bogged down in the northeast quadrant of the grid, and even went to google, because I was getting impatient to get to the meta. Thought it was a little tricky, and surprised to see 35 people already on the board by the time I made it!

Enjoyed it!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Wonderful puzzle, clever meta -- and a marvelous supergroup indeed! But that grid was a toughie.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Excellent! The grid took way longer than the meta, but I finally finished both.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Really tough grid. Really fun meta. I loved every minute of this one!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Enjoyable meta, but the grid was really hard for me.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Grid took way much more effort than the meta. Fun puzzle.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I’m on the board! Brain hurts a little from this one.
Heidi
stmv

Post by stmv »

On the board. I agree that the grid was tough. It was fun to work out this meta - not totally trivial, but straightforward.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Agreed -- my northeast quadrant has numerous double- or triple-inked squares. The grid took me about twice as long as a typical grid, but the meta was relatively easy.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Solved! Didn't really enjoy the grid, but the meta was fun once I got there. I think I have a bead on the red herring, but I may need a few more puzzles to put it together...

Update: okay, I definitely am on the right track for the both red herring and the mega meta, but I think I still need a few more puzzles to be sure of my answers. This is still a step up from last year though, when the red herring and mega meta were so closely connected that I found the red herring mechanism in February and used it to guess the mega meta by March without ever coming close to the intended mechanism for the mega.
Last edited by damefox on Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BethA

Post by BethA »

C=64 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:19 pm Agreed -- my northeast quadrant has numerous double- or triple-inked squares. The grid took me about twice as long as a typical grid, but the meta was relatively easy.
I like to solve most printed crosswords in pen, too. But I keep this handy!
188B5C99-8F1D-4B21-91C6-91778C66079D.jpeg
(Exceptions: Cryptics, Rows Garden, and other variety puzzles still done in pencil).
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

The grid kicked my butt for a long time, but the meta made it worth it. I am a huge fan of Peter’s puzzles.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Tough grid! Loved the meta mechanism. Straighforward but fun to discover.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

BethA wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 pm
C=64 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:19 pm Agreed -- my northeast quadrant has numerous double- or triple-inked squares. The grid took me about twice as long as a typical grid, but the meta was relatively easy.

(Exceptions: Cryptics, Rows Garden, and other variety puzzles still done in pencil).
I've said this before but iPad + Apple Pencil is the pro way to solve any PDF puzzle. I've saved reams of paper over the years and I don't want to go back.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

sharkicicles wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:14 pm

I've said this before but iPad + Apple Pencil is the pro way to solve any PDF puzzle. I've saved reams of paper over the years and I don't want to go back.
I've bored the heck out of muggles promoting the use of Excel to mark-up & list possible answers for metas, saving paper, ink, etc. Can I get an "AMEN!"? I do my best to create these forms for metas & post links publicly for non-subscription metas and PM links privately for subscription metas to those who request them. I still use the Excel forms when it takes me longer than 45 minutes to solve.

Having said that, I fully agree with sharkicicles use of the iPad & Apple pen. I do the same with my Microsoft Surface & pen, sometimes. However, I always solve the grid via PUZ or online file, first, & almost always on my phone. I then use Excel or the Surface pen strictly to mark-up copies. It works well and is easier than paper & pen. Personally, I prefer using Excel when using my Surface, but the pen works well, too, after I've saved the filled-out grid as a PDF.

Interestingly, my experimenting with Surface & pen led me to using my phone & a Waysse stylus/pen, particularly if my solving goes into a second day. This allows me to play with solutions on the go when I find a few minutes to revisit. So, lately, I find myself using my phone, for the grid & initial attempt to solve, then I move on to a combination of phone & Excel.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:30 pm
sharkicicles wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:14 pm
I've bored the heck out of muggles promoting the use of Excel to mark-up & list possible answers for metas, saving paper, ink, etc. Can I get an "AMEN!"? I do my best to create these forms for metas & post links publicly for non-subscription metas and PM links privately for subscription metas to those who request them. I still use the Excel forms when it takes me longer than 45 minutes to solve.

AMEN