"Recording Studio Addition" - December 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
C=64

Post by C=64 »

FKelly wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:24 am (no diagonal, vertical or horizontal reflection)
The grid has rotational symmetry, and very nearly has vertical and horizontal symmetry. Sending PM.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Liked the grid, had the meta answer quickly once I got down to the hint at the end. Only one of 4 or 5 of these I did this year, and of those I only got the meta 2 or 3 times. Need to look at the rest to try to guess the mega but I doubt it will come easily...
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Wow, no idea on this one so far.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

I took a wild guess and submitted. I tried to use the obvious clue but that got me nothing.
Can I PM someone to verify my answer? Just tell me yes or no.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Guessed wrong. Ah well.
stmv

Post by stmv »

In hindsight I found it to be pretty impressive that the five pluses had the five different letters of BOARD in their center position.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Got a good email from Pete last night. I will need to make some room in the kitchen cabinet 8-)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BethA

Post by BethA »

Did anyone else notice that BOARD was used in 8 of the first 17 posts on this topic?!

I don’t believe any were intentional spoilers, but thought it was pretty funny! 😀
(My spoiler detector alarms kept going off!!!)
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

BethA wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:25 pm Did anyone else notice that BOARD was used in 8 of the first 17 posts on this topic?!

I don’t believe any were intentional spoilers, but thought it was pretty funny! 😀
(My spoiler detector alarms kept going off!!!)
I was hesitant to use that term, but since others did, I didn't feel too bad. Also, it is a common term when posting about successes with MGWCC metas.
Abide

Post by Abide »

BethA wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:25 pm Did anyone else notice that BOARD was used in 8 of the first 17 posts on this topic?!

I had mixed feelings about it... ;)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I solved it in a completely different way... okay, most famous recording studio in the world, Abbey Road (RIP, John incidentally), so I noticed the pluses all had a lot of the letters of Abbey Road... in fact, I spent a lot of time looking for ABEY around the grid -- even got as far as saying "it's weird that they're all missing the same letters" Eventually -- I mean, it was within a minute, but it seemed like hours -- it eventually dawned on me that it wasn't the four letters that were missing in all cases, but the five letters that were there in all cases. Duh.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I mostly backsolved this one. After trying many things and failing to find the right "plus signs," I Googled recording studio equipment and compiled a short list of 11-letter ones (SYNTHESIZER was my Hail Mary at first). But MIXING BOARD wasn't on the list originally, I only thought of it afterwards (although my memory was probably triggered by something online). At that point I finally did what I should have done in the first place: looked at the "plus" right in the middle of the grid and saw BOA across, R on top and D below. Huh, I said. :-)

I thought this one would be tough for people who have zero experience with the technical side of recording or performing music, because I don't think that a mixing board is a generally well-known piece of equipment, and it didn't jump out from Google either.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Thought I'd already posted this, but I don't see it. I do have some experience with broadcast and recording mixing boards. I just happened to see the pluses right away, and thought, can it really be that simple? And plus shapes connect to mixing boards how? It just didn't seem like a Muller December concept. (I don't mean that it seems too *easy*, because I realize that there is luck involved in what you happen to notice.) So I googled around for other kinds of studio boards.

If the prompt hadn't specified 11-letters for the studio addition, a case might be made for GROUPIES based on addled BROADs I"ll show myself out.
KayW

Post by KayW »

While looking for the "plus signs", I started in the middle and saw BOARD, plus the 4 other variations in each quadrant. I'd never heard of a MIXING BOARD, but I have heard of "mixing" music so it seemed logical to me that that funny board with all the levers that I see in every single movie involving a music studio would be called a mixing board. Google only kind of confirmed it, so I crossed my fingers and submitted. Whew!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I figured based on the grid shape that it had to be symmetrical, with one of the five pluses in the center. So I took the five center "plus" letters (RBOAD) and looked for them in the four quadrants. Unscrambling them led to the answer (as well as lots of nonsense anagrams that got me onto Pete's "Groaners" list!)
TMart

Post by TMart »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:09 pm (RIP, John incidentally)
I can't believe it's been forty years. I remember that day very clearly - a painful one for this then-teenaged Beatles fan.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

TMart wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:41 am I figured based on the grid shape that it had to be symmetrical, with one of the five pluses in the center. So I took the five center "plus" letters (RBOAD) and looked for them in the four quadrants.
I did exactly the same. I didn't notice until afterwards that the four other pluses were perfectly symmetrical and abutting the ends of the implied X (multiplication symbol?) of black squares. #geometryteacherfail
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I created a small template with the plus sign cut out to move around the board to look for possible words. Once I saw that there were more than one mix of BOARD, the rest came fairly quickly.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Finally got this one. When I went to submit an answer I noticed that the deadline had passed. At least I was able to check my answer right away!

I spent way too much time trying to coax synthesizer out of the grid. That was a tough task with only one Y and zero Z's. Even after finding the pluses I shied away from the answer because I was assuming it had to be one word. I finally read the meta explanation again and all was good.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!