"Mind the Overlap" - October 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
damefox

"Mind the Overlap" - October 2020

Post by damefox »

The meta for this puzzle is a British pop hit from the ’80s.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Number 12 on the leaderboard might be a record for me. I thought this was maybe August-level difficulty.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Right behind you Damefox! First thing I tried worked.
Heidi
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I'm in at 2:36. Considering I didn't even get home until 2:08, I'll take it!
docison

Post by docison »

#21. This was a good one, I thought.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Never heard of the song but a pretty easy meta and a solid “click” so I had no qualms submitting.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

#27. Surprised at how few have solved thus far. Enjoyed the meta, and enjoyed the song back in the day
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I wasn't sure I would solve this one, I've been in such a slump lately! But my slow brain finally got there (waiting on confirmation, but 99.9% sure). Whew!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I think I have it.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Well, I'm 0 for 2 today. Striking out on this and PGW.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I'm pretty sure I have it, even though I didn't recognize the song (but it Googles well), and it had a very solid click.

(Yes, now on leaderboard. In hindsight, this was quite a clever construction.)
Last edited by stmv on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Woo-hoo! Post-enlightenment strikes again! May have to wait until morning for confirmation, though, unless Pete is a night owl like me. I hope I'm right, because this is one of my favorite songs from the 80s and I am a total 80s girl! I would love to hear Pete perform this.
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

Tina wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:27 am Woo-hoo! Post-enlightenment strikes again! May have to wait until morning for confirmation, though, unless Pete is a night owl like me. I hope I'm right, because this is one of my favorite songs from the 80s and I am a total 80s girl! I would love to hear Pete perform this.
IIRC, I believe he has a program that checks the answer and then credits you on the list once you submit the answer, assuming you provided a name. Usually when I've submitted correct answers, I just wait an hour or two and check if my name appears on the list. Good luck.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Solved.
I can't recall ever hearing the song, but it came up when googled and it fit the bill.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Harumph. I got nothing. Might take the L on this one. Tomorrow is Thursday after all.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Tina wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:27 am Woo-hoo! Post-enlightenment strikes again! May have to wait until morning for confirmation, though, unless Pete is a night owl like me. I hope I'm right, because this is one of my favorite songs from the 80s and I am a total 80s girl! I would love to hear Pete perform this.
Pete definitely has an automated program to check answers. If you don't show up quickly, try a hard refresh (ctrl+F5) to reload the leaderboard. Same thing with the star ratings on this site for the WSJCC.

I've spent a fair amount of time on this one. I see a few things which look like they could be on the way to the solution, but I can't complete it. It's frustrating when again I can't see what's so easy for most people.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I saw one thing that I thought for sure would lead to the answer, but it was fruitless yesterday. Haven't had the opportunity at a second look yet today.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Eureka! Have been looking off and on since noon yesterday. I don’t seem to have that knack yet of “the first thing I tried worked...”

I played the song, and Dan knew it right away, but it didn’t seem real familiar to me. Got the solid CLICK though, finally! Another case of too many ideas to pursue, rather too few! I REALLY like to get done with the MMMM before Thursday at 4pm. If I have 2 metas at once, I end up solving neither. 🤪

**Thought I was going to be right after Matt Gaffney, but DCole324 snuck in there!
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

I saw a few things while filling in the grid that I was sure would lead to me a quick solve. But I can't make sense of what I've got. And I Love the 80s!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Submitted and should be on the board shortly.

In hindsight, this shouldn't have played as hard as I made it. Lots of rabbit holes to explore, but the meta is a 100%er when you get it.