"Mind the Overlap" - October 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
KayW

Post by KayW »

A big THANKS to ky-mike for reading through my many convoluted rabbit holes and confirming that one of them was on the right track. Whew! My two remaining brain cells were running in all different directions on this one but not going far enough down the correct path. Awaiting confirmation but yes this is a 100%er.

And... confirmed on the board.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Got it at last, kicking myself.

Edit: no inelegance. Still kicking.
Last edited by Hector on Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfrechet

Post by sfrechet »

Still staring at my one idea which isn't amounting to anything. Would love to have a nudge, if anyone is willing. Thanks. --Sharon
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

FINALLY got it with a little push away from my wrong ideas from kayw.
So relieved.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
PaPuzzler

Post by PaPuzzler »

Also staring. I've had many "starts" but can't seem to put all the pieces together. Would love a small nudge as well, or maybe confirmation one of paths could bear fruit. Thanks, Mike
pamster

Post by pamster »

Edit: I got help! Request rescinded. / I could use a nudge. Have been down several paths with none of them leading anywhere. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by pamster on Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfrechet

Post by sfrechet »

sfrechet wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:13 pm Still staring at my one idea which isn't amounting to anything. Would love to have a nudge, if anyone is willing. Thanks. --Sharon
On the board! Thanks for the nudges, Hector!
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Dannyvee wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:19 pm FINALLY got it with a little push away from my wrong ideas from kayw.
So relieved.
Ditto.
Never heard of the song. One person's hit is another's ....
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

I think I have figured out the red herring. Is there anyone here who has solved it and could tell me if my guess is correct or not? PM me. Thanks!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Lacey, maybe just submit. It's fun to give it a go.
Samee

Post by Samee »

Everyone who solved it with help from a “nudge” should not get the full 5 points credit, you should email Pete and tell him you had help and should only get 2 or 3 points.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Best first post ever! :?
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I took the loss on this puzzle. I was getting nowhere and didn't want to ask for a hint. Congrats to everyone who got this one!

Now that the contest is over, I got the answer quickly after reading the hint Pete posted. I should have realized that many of 3 letter grid entries were awkward. He also put overlapping entries close together.

I was thrown off by the fact that NINE overlaps with INCH. NIN is a triple which occurs 4 times. Then there's ION suspiciously twice in the same row, both times intersecting with NIN.

I was also looking at overlaps in larger entries, even including sounds. MAME & AMES, ANT -> ANTE. INCH -> WENCH. IONS -> LYONS, ROAR -> ERROR.

I consider it to be more of a triple continuation than an expansion, but I know that entries need to fit in 15 characters and if it were super clear it wouldn't be a challenge.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Samee wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:17 pm Everyone who solved it with help from a “nudge” should not get the full 5 points credit, you should email Pete and tell him you had help and should only get 2 or 3 points.
Point taken. Meaning your point. And a point from me if my guess is incorrect. No has responded.
Sorry if I have offended anyone or acted out of line.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I took the DNF on this one. Got it immediately after reading Pete's hint - the one thing I didn't try as a "triple expansion". I know the song well, and now I can't get it out of my head.

My "excuse" is that I was busy preparing [SHAMELESS PLUG] this week's Muggle Meta Monday puzzle, which can be found here:

forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=605

The great thing about metas is, even when you miss, there's always another one!
spotter

Post by spotter »

First one of the year I didn't solve. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get it. I stopped looking after Tuesday and forgot to come back to it in time. Been a little busier than usual lately.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

TMart wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:15 am I took the DNF on this one. Got it immediately after reading Pete's hint - the one thing I didn't try as a "triple expansion". I know the song well, and now I can't get it out of my head.

My "excuse" is that I was busy preparing [SHAMELESS PLUG] this week's Muggle Meta Monday puzzle, which can be found here:

forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=605

The great thing about metas is, even when you miss, there's always another one!
Wait, Pete gives hints?!
BethA

Post by BethA »

I didn’t know about the hint til reading about it here. When was it posted?
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

BethA wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:22 am I didn’t know about the hint til reading about it here. When was it posted?
I just discovered it too.
https://pmxwords.com/2020-puzzle-10-min ... rlap-HINT/
I don't know if it would have helped me though.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

A hint is posted every month after the contest is closed.