"Mind the Overlap" - October 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Eric Porter wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:36 am
Now that the contest is over, I got the answer quickly after reading the hint Pete posted. I should have realized that many of 3 letter grid entries were awkward. He also put overlapping entries close together.
I noticed the goofy 3 letter words as well and that 4 of them spelled out a very well dressed hit song title. I didn't even notice the overlap concept in the grid....
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I totally backed into this one. After following some other rabbit holes, I had an idea (from TRIPLE EXPANSION, of course) that maybe the three letters in the three-letter entries were repeated (expanded) in the same order in longer grid entries. So I wrote out all of the across three-letter entries and went... huh. Pure dumb luck. I didn't even notice the downs for another couple of days!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

DNF. I saw the easy horizontal ones, ETH/THA and ANT/NTH, but got red herringed by BALI/ALIST.