"Just Beyond the Surface" - September 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Anita

Post by Anita »

And after more consideration, we're on the board! Great meta, and a favorite song.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:08 pm I was thinking I was done with puzzling for the day -- "Now to some reading" -- when I suddenly realized, "It's the first Tuesday of the month -- MULLER MONTHLY MUSIC META !!!! !!!!" ("The Guest List" could wait.)

Tough grid; slogged through almost all of it, needing to google just a bit. Then did the usual staring, until noticing something, and ... there it was!

Good one!
I actually have a reminder in my calendar for the first Tuesday of the month to get the MMMM, but then I signed up for the mailing list and I get it automagically the first Tuesday of the month.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

I agree with the sentiment that grid was a tough one. Very innovative meta. I have that slab of vinyl. Appropriate song.
Last edited by FKelly on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

This is the toughest time I've had with an MMMM in over a year! I guess I need to stare at it some more...
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I've been getting emails about new puzzles for a year now and this was the first one that went into my spam folder. Fortunately I remembered today that it was the first Tuesday of the month yesterday.

I always use Google to get the clues because I suck at crosswords. I had a strange experience with Google's autocomplete and I'll share after the contest is over.

Like usual, I hadn't heard of the song, but I was at least familiar with the artist.

Now that I have 9 monthly puzzles correct, I've qualified for the grand prize.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

If anyone's willing to share a hint I'd be grateful.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Agree! Killer grid, but fabulous meta! And it's even a hit song I know.

...I hope I'm not speaking too soon - I submitted 30 minutes ago and am not yet on the board (unusual as I thought MMMM was automated), but this is as close to 100% as I've seen a meta.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I finally just got this one. Phew! I thought it would be my first miss of the year! Great meta!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Dplass wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:19 am If anyone's willing to share a hint I'd be grateful.
Likewise.

Seeing lots of interesting things, but nothing coming together.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Whew! Finally got there, not confirmed yet* but 100% sure. This was a good one! And I'm another fan of the song.

*As others have mentioned, it does seem like the leaderboard is taking longer to update; I noticed that last month too so I'm not worried (yet) that my name isn't on the board. Maybe there were some problems with the automated system so he's doing them by hand.

Edit: On the board at last, looks like maybe the updates are only once a day after the first day. So don't despair if your name doesn't show up for a while after submitting...
Last edited by Laura M on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

One really tough crossing square for me. Had to Google. But the meta came very easy.

Getting really frustrated by the mega-meta though. I'm nowhere on it.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Got there following confirmation from a fellow solver that one of my first ideas was the right one.

Staring on and off, with a good night‘s sleep in between, helped.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Dplass wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:19 am If anyone's willing to share a hint I'd be grateful.
ky-mike wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:54 pm Likewise.

Seeing lots of interesting things, but nothing coming together.
You've probably already got replies, but if not, you can PM me.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Got it after a couple of nudges confirming my initial path.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

It took writing down words on another sheet of paper to see step 1. Then after trying many things, it took highlighting in the grid to finally figure it out (and that was after I guessed the song)! Very clever meta. Tough week with MMM & MMMM. Feeling especially scrambled. Now onto the WSJ.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I've been staring at this tantalizing grid for too long. Might I have a nudge, please?
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Saw something and immediately thought of a song that would fit the meta perfectly. Of course, that usually means wrong one. Not this time! I just wish some sort of inspiration would hit on the mega meta. Found the red herring early on, just banging my head on the keyboard over the mega.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Woo-hoo! Finally got the mega meta. Now that I see it, I can’t believe it took me this long. Now to find the red herring...

... and why are those darn Swedish fish so easy to spot only when there’s no reward for them?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Whoa, man, this grid was brutal, but at least I’m not the only one who thought so! Still staring and waiting for something to jump out. As usual, I thought I saw something, and even though it hasn’t panned out, I can’t get away from it.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Haven't seen anything all week, but ignoring it since Thursday... going to have to give it another crack today and see if anything pops out.