"Playlist Omission" - August 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
spotter

"Playlist Omission" - August 2020

Post by spotter »

The meta for this puzzle is the Bruce Springsteen hit that completes the puzzle's playlist.
Last edited by spotter on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'm on the board. Personally found this one to be very easy. I'm wondering if it's one of those that just happened to jump out at me luckilly.

Also, I created this topic, but forgot to list " - August 2020" in the title. Can somebody either edit this, or instruct me on how to do so?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

spotter wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:36 pm Also, I created this topic, but forgot to list " - August 2020" in the title. Can somebody either edit this, or instruct me on how to do so?
Edit your 1st post (pencil icon at top-right, next to "x" , exclamation point, & quotation marks). The subject will show in a box of its own at top, which you can edit.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Abide

Post by Abide »

It was touch and go for five minutes, then I got it. Probably on Pete's easy side.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
โ€”Brian MacDonald
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Grateful for an easy one during a week when I have very little free time and have to do metas on my phone. Sadly I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ll be getting the MGWCC week 5!
Louis D

Post by Louis D »

Dang. I also thought it was easy, but I didn't get on the leaderboard. (I know my answer was wrong because I do show up under "2020 Contest", but not "This Month")
Now I'm really curious to know where I went wrong.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Got autocorrected on submission. So it says Kitchendive not Kiichendiva! LOL!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Huh, I didn't get an email this time... Agree that this one goes easier on us than expected.

No email confirmation of the entry, either, despite my showing up on the leaderboard. Anyone else having these issues?
Last edited by Hector on Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Got it -- now I have to take the crossword printout off my clipboard and use it [the clipboard] while I teach an algebra class on Zoom...
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Solved itโ€” my first monthly puzzle.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I got one, for a change! (I believe there's another Boss song that fits the theme, but doesn't quite qualify as a "hit." At least not in the same way that Margaret Cho and Yma Sumac attained their stature.)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

On the board!
Heidi
BethA

Post by BethA »

Hector wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:55 pm Huh, I didn't get an email this time... Agree that this one goes easier on us than expected.

No email confirmation of the entry, either, despite my showing up on the leaderboard. Anyone else having these issues?
No, I got both emails. But in the past I remember that they went to my junk or spam folder once or twice, if you havenโ€™t already checked.

My only โ€œissueโ€ was that I thought when I submitted my answer last month, it showed up almost instantaneously on the leaderboard. Today there was an interminable 7 minute delay!!! Agonizing...
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Hector wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:55 pm Huh, I didn't get an email this time... Agree that this one goes easier on us than expected.

I got the email with the puzzle, but no confirmation email. But I haven't gotten that in months. I just go back and check the board.
Heidi
BethA

Post by BethA »

This one was kinda hard for me. I knew I couldnโ€™t get my brain on the right track, so I took a break and canned some tomatoes. Picked it up again and immediately got it! My main problem in meta solving is getting my brain unstuck, letting go of something it keeps latching onto! ๐Ÿง 
damefox

Post by damefox »

On the board! This one took me way longer to see than it should have; I don't know what my hang-up was. Possibly I was just stuck because the grid was so frustrating for me - I haven't heard of a single one of those songs! Well, now back to MGWCC.

Edit: Okay, I have *heard* of at least one of them, but could I tell you any lyrics beyond the title? Definitely not.
Anita

Post by Anita »

We were way out in the weeds on this. Then our luck changed for the better. We've been doing very poorly on these lately, bit this time we've got it.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Late start on this one, but on the board now! I agree about he toughness of the grid due to the unfamiliarity of the songs.
KayW

Post by KayW »

damefox wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:25 pm On the board! This one took me way longer to see than it should have; I don't know what my hang-up was. Possibly I was just stuck because the grid was so frustrating for me - I haven't heard of a single one of those songs! Well, now back to MGWCC.

Edit: Okay, I have *heard* of at least one of them, but could I tell you any lyrics beyond the title? Definitely not.
I don't know if I'm glad to hear that or not! I solved the grid but so far I have absolutely nothing on the meta. I had to google all but one of the songs, so I was ready to chalk up the failure to my musical ignorance. But it looks like I can't use that as an excuse. Back to staring, I guess... :shock:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

Great aha moment for this one!