"Triple Feature" - June 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I'm having trouble finding even one song that incorporates all the information here. But I'll keep seeking.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'm really curious to see what wrong answer people are finding. This was a 100%er for me.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

How quickly does MMMM add you to the leaderboard if you submit a correct answer?
Hector

Post by Hector »

Not sure but I think it's automated, so pretty quickly.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

That's what I thought. I guess I didn't remit the correct answer. Board updated and I am not in it.

Anyone want to share the answer with me via pm?
Hector

Post by Hector »

ky-mike wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:35 pm That's what I thought. I guess I didn't remit the correct answer. Board updated and I am not in it.

Anyone want to share the answer with me via pm?
PMed.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

On the board! That was fun!
Heidi
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I’m surprised there are so many wrong answers. I just made a huge blunder. There is a very clear cut answer.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

I was concerned by the posts here, and I did come up with the answer rather quickly. So I re-checked the grid a bunch, but couldn't come up with a different response. I submitted and appeared on the board--so correct. Thanks for sharing about checking the board. I've never done that!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'll be curious to hear what wrong answer(s) people came up with. Before I saw the correct approach, I noticed a big red herring (unless it's actually some other confirming factor that I haven't figured out - you never know with Pete's puzzles). I'm wondering if there was a way to pull an 60s song out of that.

For anyone still working on it, I'd put this in the 100% absolutely sure category.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Oh man. Just saw what I needed to see. I need to get my eyes and/or my head examined.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I solved it! Nice.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Fun solve! The aha happened in slow motion for me, which I liked.

I’ll be interested to hear the alternative answers and am sorry to hear they tripped up some of the group.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Nice and easy, but I'm still bummed about that wrong Mega-Meta answer I sent in last month.
Abide

Post by Abide »

So far I have no answer, other than a few choices.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Abide

Post by Abide »

Classic post-enlightenment. Flounder for three days, post here, and then it reveals......!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

So what was the wrong answer people submitted? Pete posted on fiend that a lot of people submitted other AROUND songs. Was there a path to get something?

Before I noticed all the trigrams, I was struck by the things there were three of in the grid. Like trees SAPOTE, REDMAPLE, and NUTPINE. And drugs TAURINE, NEPENTHE, and VICODIN. That couldn't possibly be coincidence, could it? Yes, apparently it could. Fortunately "song trees drugs around" didn't turn up any useful google hits.
TMart

Post by TMart »

The title almost led me to submit “Turn, Turn, Turn” by the Byrds. I also considered “I Get Around” based on nothing but the circled letters, which told me it wasn’t the answer. Then I saw the mechanism.

But I never understood the title until just now when Barbara mentioned the trigrams. I actually had the full word “Love” on the left and the two letters of “is” in my solve, which was not quite symmetrical but easier to read.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I also quickly thought of Turn! Turn! Turn! by the Byrds and hastily submitted that for my answer. Seeing the word "around" using the circled letters which surrounded Autumn (there is a season). I should have spent more time looking at the grid.
damefox

Post by damefox »

It's a tough call whether I would've been able to come up with the correct answer with a little more effort, given that I've never heard of either that song or the band that sings it. (So many songs from the 60s-80s come up in these metas! Are we ever going to have an answer I was alive for?) I was also in a very weird headspace last Tuesday because on Monday police were tear gassing protesters in the street immediately below my apartment building. Then I looked at this grid and saw the completely unnecessary reference to "Blurred Lines" at 15A (this is one song I was alive for that I'm not dying to see as a meta answer, regardless of whether Robin Thicke was on Vicodin when he wrote it) and whatever lingering motivation I had to put some real effort into this meta evaporated. Sometimes you're just not in the mood to play the game. I'll take the loss.

Maybe I can finally make some headway on the red herring this month. There's gotta be a deadline for submitting that, right? Isn't the red herring reveal usually in September?