"Triple Feature" - June 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I told myself to be patient because I was too tired to think straight, but ‘I Get Around’ was correct. No need to wait to submit. Sometimes Self doesn’t listen. It took about 30 seconds to see the correct answer when I reviewed. Double drat.

I found the red herring, but can’t find the mega.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

TMart wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:11 am The title almost led me to submit “Turn, Turn, Turn” by the Byrds. I also considered “I Get Around” based on nothing but the circled letters, which told me it wasn’t the answer. Then I saw the mechanism.

But I never understood the title until just now when Barbara mentioned the trigrams. I actually had the full word “Love” on the left and the two letters of “is” in my solve, which was not quite symmetrical but easier to read.
Fun fact, it wasn't "Turn, Turn, Turn"... Ask me how I know...
KayW

Post by KayW »

My first guess was "I Get Around" just based on the circled letters. But I was sure there was more to it than that, and the warnings here about early wrong submissions steered me clear anyway.

I never heard this song, but I recognized immediately as the source of "Christmas is All Around" from the movie Love Actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji20DlN9td0

(A movie I used to enjoy but once I started thinking about all the messages it sends is really quite horrible...)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I did think about I Get Around, because Around is what I got! But since it was Triple Feature and "around", I also thought about The Wanderer "I roam around, around, around". Fortunately directed to look for more and found the triples that were needed to solve.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Please don’t tell me that I’m the only one who can’t get the theme song from “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” out of my mind!! 😀

(I’ve heard of the Troggs, but not that particular song, of the same name).
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I just watched the video, and I think it's one of my favorite covers in recent memory. No specific reason; it's just so nice and mellow and happy! Good antidote for these times. I love the violin (viola?). Thanks, Pete and The Kindred Souls!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I started the MMMM for the first time tonight, plowed through Jan-May with mixed/mostly bad results, then was excited to solve June's correctly! And then realized I was a week late. 😕