"Surround Sound" - March 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
damefox

Post by damefox »

I just got the mega meta!!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

damefox wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:03 pm I just got the mega meta!!
Yay congrats!!! I thought of and submitted a guess, but unsurprisingly didn't get it :-)
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I'm on the board. 3 for 3. Pretty new at this contest, so don't even have an idea what to look for regarding the super meta. I need to go back through the 2019 puzzles and get a better understanding how that part comes together.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

ky-mike wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:49 pm I'm on the board. 3 for 3. Pretty new at this contest, so don't even have an idea what to look for regarding the super meta. I need to go back through the 2019 puzzles and get a better understanding how that part comes together.
It’s probably more helpful to look at the megas from three years ago- the last 2 years had clearly marked clues (with a “***”) whereas prior ones were a little more opaque like this years.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Really?? People have solved the mega meta???

OK, I'll take the January, February, and March puzzles with me on our weekend visit with our older boy, daughter-in-law, and granddog. I'll see if I can get it. (While attempting to remain sociable.)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Got the Mega meta yesterday...
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I got this one now. I was making it harder than it was and missed an obvious connection. As usual, I hadn't heard of the song before.

I'd actually gotten it last night, but I accidentally mixed up the "screen name" and "answer" which locked me out for a while. Sorry about that, Pete. I wasn't trying to do it.

Maybe I'll take a crack at the Mega Meta this weekend.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Done and done! Loved the meta and resulting earworm, but probably much easier for someone my age (thank you Pete for throwing a bone to us geezers!)

I can't believe some have gotten the meta mega already. Congrats to all who have! Tho I haven't taken a hard look into it yet, I don't have any inklings at all....
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I was just about to say "Who ARE these people who have the Mega Meta already??" Then I saw that they were Muggles. Of course they were.

At least I'm 3 for 3!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Keep working. I just got the mega meta. Never heard of the song.