"And Sometimes..." - February 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got it!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

...after submitting a reasonable answer which fits, discussed with a solver who got the right answer. Color me irritated. I completely agree that the correct answer is better than the one that I submitted, but (and the rest will wait until after the deadline)
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

Frustrated because I know what I SHOULD be doing, but I’m not sure how to get to the final answer. How obscure are we talking? Googleable? Would love to talk on PM depending on how people feel about that.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

jakeorjacob wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:40 pm Frustrated because I know what I SHOULD be doing, but I’m not sure how to get to the final answer. How obscure are we talking? Googleable? Would love to talk on PM depending on how people feel about that.
It’s not obscure. Definitely googleable, but not necessarily a single quick google.

PM me if you want to discuss in more detail.
burak

Post by burak »

Well, I'll more or less be repeating what everyone else said but this is one of those metas where I think I know the answer and I can definitely justify it but the click is underwhelming so I keep saying to myself "is this the answer though?"

I guess I'll convince myself further at some point and just submit it.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

burak wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:05 am Well, I'll more or less be repeating what everyone else said but this is one of those metas where I think I know the answer and I can definitely justify it but the click is underwhelming so I keep saying to myself "is this the answer though?"

I guess I'll convince myself further at some point and just submit it.
Yep, I’ve found a somewhat satisfactory answer as well but PM is so good at writing these I’m convinced that the weak click means I don’t have it.

Like you, though, I’ll probably just submit what I have unless I come up with something better before the deadline.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

That being said, on the board.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

So did anyone else have Ebn Ozn in mind first?
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

sharkicicles wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:42 am So did anyone else have Ebn Ozn in mind first?
I knew it couldn't be the right answer, given the letter count, but I was definitely humming Ebn Ozn this week, lol. I used to see that video so often when MTV was still fairly new and played the same songs over and over. I pulled it up last night and it made me feel very old.
Hector

Post by Hector »

sharkicicles wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:42 am So did anyone else have Ebn Ozn in mind first?
Never heard of it, to my recollection, even though I was a college radio DJ at the time.

I was side-tracked by the fact that there are 5 occurrences of A, E, O, and I, but only 3 of U, reading "And Sometimes..." as "count the number of times letters occur." So I was thinking of songs with titles like "Not Enough of You," "Seeing Less of You," "Hold on To [2] You," etc.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'd never heard of Ebn Ozn. Just listened to the song though. I was guessing that the almost but not quite answer was Styx.

I think a minor flaw of this puzzle is that it's hard to google if you're not familiar with the band - or have heard of them but not seen their name spelled out. "band name with lots of y's" gets you mostly bands that start with Y. (One promising hit was an article about "Band Names Without Vowels" but they apparently count Y as a vowel.)

https://www.onelook.com/ finds it, but you have to look through a lot of options and recognize Lynyrd Skynyrd as a band when you see it.

Usually Pete's meta answers are easy to google if you've found the mechanism. I think this one would have been better if there were more constraints than just a band with more than 10 letters in its name - a band in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a band on the Rolling Stone list of 100 Greatest Artists of All Time, something that would have told people where to start looking.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Hector wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:35 am
Never heard of it, to my recollection, even though I was a college radio DJ at the time.

I was side-tracked by the fact that there are 5 occurrences of A, E, O, and I, but only 3 of U, reading "And Sometimes..." as "count the number of times letters occur." So I was thinking of songs with titles like "Not Enough of You," "Seeing Less of You," "Hold on To [2] You," etc.
Oooh I like that reasoning.

My son is a college DJ right now. I try to listen, but dang, the music he plays is SO bad. On the plus side, if Otoboke Beaver is ever the answer in a crossword puzzle, I'm ready.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:47 pm I think a minor flaw of this puzzle is that it's hard to google if you're not familiar with the band - or have heard of them but not seen their name spelled out. "band name with lots of y's" gets you mostly bands that start with Y. (One promising hit was an article about "Band Names Without Vowels" but they apparently count Y as a vowel.)
I googled "band name where y is only vowel" and it popped up as the only result. (I'm familiar with them, so I like to think I would have figured it out eventually on my own, but I'm weak.)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Hector wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:35 am

FWIW that 3/5 thing sidetracked me for a looooong time.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Pete's write-up is out...

https://pmxwords.com/2020-puzzle-2-and- ... -solution/

I got this one on the second try which sadly does not count.

I saw the need for "Y's" in the answer, and my first submission was The WiseGuys. Never heard of them, but that's what popped up rather than Lynyrd Skynyrd on my first "Y" Google. And the name - if you include "THE" - contains 11 letters. When I failed to appear on the leaderboard, I did some more googling and of course saw Lynyrd Skynyrd.

And I am indeed of the right age to know Lynyrd Skynyrd well. I just never thought about the spelling and it didn't pop into mind on its own for this meta.

Congrats to all who solved!

... and hence my long hesitation before deciding whether to submit MELLON or CARNEGIE this week. For the record, I ultimately went with MELLON.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I was just lucky. I had just finished the grid and then went to fold some laundry. I was thinking about the meta and Lynryd Skynrd just popped in my head.
Heidi