"And Sometimes..." - February 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Laura M

"And Sometimes..." - February 2020

Post by Laura M »

The meta for this puzzle is a band with more than 10 letters in its name.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Tough grid, cute meta.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I had a good idea what the answer would be from the title and top section of the grid, but I'm not brave enough to actually submit without finishing the puzzle to be sure.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

2 for 2!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Pretty quick solve. Enjoying them while they are easy.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Man, I feel dumb. 99% sure I got step 1... then nothing.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I submitted my confident answer but did not appear on the leader board. I emailed Pete. Apparently I had a typo but was correct. He gave me credit. Note to self- check your spelling!
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

sharkicicles wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:01 pm Man, I feel dumb. 99% sure I got step 1... then nothing.
Title!
Heidi
Hector

Post by Hector »

Going to skew Boomer again?
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Another easy one. I've heard their most famous song, but didn't know who the artist was until now. I still don't know what the title of the puzzle means.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Fun one. I figure I have about two more months (if that) before victory is no longer probable!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Eric Porter wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:07 pm Another easy one. I've heard their most famous song, but didn't know who the artist was until now. I still don't know what the title of the puzzle means.
Remind me on Monday and I'll tell you.
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

doh! I was "sure" of my first submission but after waiting overnight and not seeing my name on the leaderboard I finally realized it was wrong. And what the correct answer must be. I'll explain my mistake post-deadline.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

hcbirker wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:38 am
Eric Porter wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:07 pm Another easy one. I've heard their most famous song, but didn't know who the artist was until now. I still don't know what the title of the puzzle means.
Remind me on Monday and I'll tell you.
Thanks, but ky-mike already explained to me what the title means, which would have been helped me solve the puzzle, but only a few minutes faster.

(You can check that my name's on the leaderboard: Eric Porter 02/04 10:59pm)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

KayW wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:12 am doh! I was "sure" of my first submission but after waiting overnight and not seeing my name on the leaderboard I finally realized it was wrong. And what the correct answer must be. I'll explain my mistake post-deadline.
I thought I had a sure answer but a careful rereading of the instructions before submitting killed that one.

(PS I can’t believe the Rabbit Hole is actually a real place, and it turns out we live about 2 miles west of it.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

sharkicicles wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:48 pm
KayW wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:12 am doh! I was "sure" of my first submission but after waiting overnight and not seeing my name on the leaderboard I finally realized it was wrong. And what the correct answer must be. I'll explain my mistake post-deadline.
I thought I had a sure answer but a careful rereading of the instructions before submitting killed that one.

(PS I can’t believe the Rabbit Hole is actually a real place, and it turns out we live about 2 miles west of it.)
We are practically neighbors! I live half a mile northeast of it. The first time I walked past I HAD to snap a picture for my avatar. Though I am almost exclusively loyal to Isaac, I made a point of working on the WSJ puzzle there at least once.

And regarding the sure but wrong answer, I think I know what you're referring to. I also reread the instructions carefully and still thought mine could work... but I'd better say no more til Monday.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I was stuck at first and was starting to convince myself of a wrong answer. But it didn't feel right. Then I noticed something else and got the 100% answer. But I can't say more right now either.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

sharkicicles wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:48 pm

This is like an extra bonus meta - figure out the answer that almost works but doesn't quite. I think I know what you all are talking about. Interesting discussion for Monday.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Submitted an answer which makes complete sense to me that appears to have been incorrect...
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Got it!