"The Dark Side" - 2019 Mega Meta

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Laura M

"The Dark Side" - 2019 Mega Meta

Post by Laura M »

[From Pete] The 2019 mega-meta is a famous rock song whose title describes what I did 12 times to my copy of this grid before I wrote the clues.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I just wanted to say that this is a ridiculously brilliant and challenging grid, and I can't imagine what it was like to construct it! Even if you already got the mega-meta* you should do this puzzle when you have a chance.

*My one complaint, apart from being a little dissatisfied with 35D, is that if you didn't already get the mega-meta, I'm not sure that this puzzle really clears things up...

I would have liked to contribute something to the tip jar--it's more than worth it--but I don't have a PayPal account and am not inclined to create one. Any alternatives? I suppose I could donate to BerkleeNYC directly.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I haven't even started final puzzle grid yet, but I correctly solved the mega-meta. Until this final puzzle came out, I hadn't even attempted to solve it. I only signed up for the mailing list and started doing these in September.

I didn't see the 2019 MMMM notes at the bottom of the home page until today when I saw it referenced from the January solution page.
Puzzle clues marked with (***) indicate a connection to the mega-meta
Now that I have the solution, I am not going to look for the solve method which allowed people to get it earlier. I'll wait for the write-up.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Laura M wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:33 pm *My one complaint, apart from being a little dissatisfied with 35D, is that if you didn't already get the mega-meta, I'm not sure that this puzzle really clears things up...
Agree. To me it's much more difficult than using the (***) clues from the twelve previous puzzles.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I found this grid extremely unpleasant. I think I'm not getting something?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I found the grid quite challenging, even though I'd already figured out the mega-meta. I did make it harder on myself by not reading the meta prompt or thinking about the *** clues before solving :)

I'm amazed that someone got this after only four puzzles. Even if I hadn't been pulled onto the red herring path, I'd have had way too many possibilities at that point.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Okay, I get it. Still did not enjoy the grid.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I very much enjoyed this grid, though it may be because I solved the mega meta a couple of months ago, and I caught on fairly quickly to what was going on here.

Please give to Pete's charity. I will too -- as soon as Lynne tells me how to access our PayPal account.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Hector wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:59 pm Okay, I get it. Still did not enjoy the grid.
Apologies, I should have added a caveat to my recommendation of this puzzle. My very favorite crosswords (aside from metas) are the ones where you're halfway through the puzzle and keep running into answers that should fit but don't... and then finally you realize that some answers are rebuses and everything starts to make sense! This isn't that, exactly, but it's similar. If you hate rebuses, and I know some people do, then this puzzle probably isn't for you. Even if you like them, this particular puzzle still might end up more frustrating than fun for you. Still, I think we can all appreciate that it was a major feat of construction!

BTW: Thanks to whoever edited this topic to add the title of the puzzle that I forgot to put in, oops!
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I really loved this puzzle. Tip sent.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Laura M wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:33 pm I would have liked to contribute something to the tip jar--it's more than worth it--but I don't have a PayPal account and am not inclined to create one. Any alternatives? I suppose I could donate to BerkleeNYC directly.
That's what I ended up doing - donating directly on https://powerstation.nyc/berkleenyc-community-fund/
Also sent Pete an email to let him know I had done so.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Leslie wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:12 pm Got stuck halfway to shore for a bit, but then I suddenly saw which way to go and quickly swam the rest of the way. Nice one! Happy New Year to all!
Are you the Leslie who got the mega meta in May? If so, I'd love to know how you did that!

I was still deep in the red herring rabbit hole at that point, but even when I did give a bit of thought to "It" songs, there were way too many of them - over a dozen just on the Rolling Stones 500 all time list. (And if I had tried to pick one at that point, I'd have gone with the Beatles Let It Be, thinking that was more Pete's style.) Until there were enough letters to point to the Stones, I just can't imagine how anyone got this.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:42 am
Are you the Leslie who got the mega meta in May? If so, I'd love to know how you did that!
Yes, that was an amazing week for me! I had just decided to try the MMMM for the first time after seeing all the recommendations here from muggles. I had previously hesitated because my knowledge of music is pretty much limited to classical and pre-1990 classic rock and other "oldies." But I got the May puzzle pretty easily and actually won the random mug drawing on my first try! I went back and did some of the earlier puzzles and saw that removing "it" from the mega meta answers left a message. When I looked at a list of greatest rock songs the answer leapt out at me. But it seemed too easy so, as I wrote to Pete when I submitted it, I assumed it was a red herring! I was shocked to find out I was right. But ever since then I've been kicking myself for not starting MMMM sooner.
TMart

Post by TMart »

This one was fun only because I had the mega meta answer already and knew what to put in the blanks. It would have been a nightmare otherwise.

I (finally) got the mega meta answer correct back in July. After the first few months, I saw the word "IT" in every clue, and realized that when you removed the "IT", the remaining letters began to spell something. So what song has the word IT? My first wrong guess (in May I think, ) was "Let It Be". Then I guessed "Take It Easy" in June. By July, I had CHOOSE TOP TEN ST...., so I guessed a Styx song. Wrong again! At that point, I got fed up and just starting firing guesses in: Shake It Off, Take It to the Limit, and a few others. By the time I realized the "ST" was for STONES, and sent in Paint It Black, I had eight wrong guesses in, and a big fat negative to my score. Oh well....maybe next year!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Even when I figured it was the Stones, I sent in "It's All Over Now." My first incorrect guess was "Move It On Over," a George Thorogood song.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Thrilled to win the MMMM mug this month! It’s my first meta puzzle prize ever. Great way to end the year!

Happy 2020 to all!
Diana

Post by Diana »

I haven't been doing the Muggles board too much, but I had to come to say that when I saw Beth Albers as MMMM winner this month, I was so happy to see a familiar name. CLAP CLAP CLAP. Happy drinkings from your mug!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

BethA wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:32 pm Thrilled to win the MMMM mug this month! It’s my first meta puzzle prize ever. Great way to end the year!

Happy 2020 to all!
Yay!!!! Congratulations!
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

BethA wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:32 pm Thrilled to win the MMMM mug this month! It’s my first meta puzzle prize ever. Great way to end the year!

Happy 2020 to all!
Congrats, Beth! I was thrilled when I saw your name in the write up! Have a happy new year!
-Doug Morack
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

In May I sent in “If I could Turn Back Time” thinking the July through December puzzles would have EM in the starred answers. In August I tried “Do It Again” by Steely Dan. September I got it right.