"How Contrary!" - December 2019

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
spotter

Post by spotter »

I got stuck at WAGMTOIL and never got any further. I never realized I was wrong with Good Brothers, just thought there was a different path to the meta. Thanks to Hector and Laura for sharing Iron Maiden with me!
KayW

Post by KayW »

spotter wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:22 pm I got stuck at WAGMTOIL and never got any further. I never realized I was wrong with Good Brothers, just thought there was a different path to the meta. Thanks to Hector and Laura for sharing Iron Maiden with me!
I also had Good Brothers at first. And then Righteous popped into mind when I saw a commercial for Righteous Gemstones. Last piece to fall was Iron Maiden. Another example of my googling skill fails (that I lamented next door in this week's WSJCC), while googling opposites of FINAL/PLIABLE PLIABLE/FINAL I first landed on a very obscure Irish band called Mid Term Break

https://midtermbreak.ie/

But when I got WARM TOML as my acronym, I knew to switch to an "I" and landed on Iron Maiden in a list. Yes - two scavenger hunt/word search metas this week. For some reason this one did not perturb me as much as Wonder Twins. Probably because I found the answer :lol: But also because you could infer a complete word once you got a "critical mass" of components.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.