"Follow the Directions! (2)" - October 2019

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

GlennG wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:21 pm Mega-meta solved. Haven't seen anything yet on the monthly...
And I solved the monthly. Clever!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Solved all ten and finally got the Mega-meta. It's the same answer I was going to send in last week, but I wasn't sure enough and I'd already sent the wrong answer twice. Ah well.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I easily solved my first MMMM this month. My biggest decision was exactly what to submit because I was torn between 2 options. Fortunately, my answer was accepted and I showed up on the leaderboard. I'm guessing both options were accepted. I submitted the one I felt was technically correct, but most people probably opted for the other answer.

If I'd gotten this one 'wrong' I probably would have quit this contest for good.

Edit: I was deciding between "Country Roads" and "Take Me Home, Country Roads". I went with the full name and I'm pleased to see that it was considered the correct answer.
Last edited by Eric Porter on Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BethA

Post by BethA »

FKelly wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:28 pm There seem to be two plausible answers to "Follow the Directions! (2)". Perhaps, there's another meaning for the (2) in the title. The first answer I found used familiar encoding method and led fairly directly to a possible answer. It's a famous song for a certain group, but not a genre that Pete Muller has used before (at least that I'm aware of). So I kept looking and found another answer that used a different familiar encoding method and also led directly to a possible answer. This answer was of a genre Muller uses regularly. Are there two (2) possible correct answers to this meta?
Just curious about your alternate answer?
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Ok ok, it was a bit palaeobyzantine. I first found the letters at the points of the compass reading CW from the NW corner to be CRYPTEBI. Putting that in a Google search led to http://www.synaxis.info/psalom/notation ... neda01.pdf. -> koinonikon, a communion chant.
I went with COUNTRY ROADS.