"Square Roots" - September 2019

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
KayW

Post by KayW »

Like BethA, I first tried the single letters in the perfect squares and got gibberish. But when I realized the LIVE BULLET answer was keyed at the last two perfect squares, I looked at the complete answers for all the others. I only knew the main refrain from the song. Didn't even remember that "Turn the page" was in the lyrics, let alone the title. But I googled all the words as a phrase and out it popped. Which I didn't even recognize until I pulled it up on you tube and "oh yeah, THAT song". Luckily I happened to notice just the "down" answers and my brain just ignored the acrosses. I didn't even notice that the across answers at the perfect squares had to do with omissions.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.