"Come See About Me" - August 2019

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
BrianMac
Site Admin

"Come See About Me" - August 2019

Post by BrianMac »

The meta for this puzzle is an alternative rock hit.

[If it's a hit, can it still be "alternative?"]

Enjoy and good luck!
Hector

Post by Hector »

I definitely recognize the song, but didn't know its title.

Meta is maybe only adequate, but I really like the grid. Sometimes that's the trade-off, I guess.
Last edited by Hector on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

My daughter and I were driving and singing along to this song in February when were hit from behind in a multi-car expressway accident. Luckily no one was seriously injured, but I can't hear this song without thinking about that. In fact, I can recall the line of the song that came just before the impact and still associate it with the screeching brakes, which I hear in my memory as though it was part of the song. [sorry, hope that's not a downer...everyone was OK :) ]
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

BrianMac wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:34 pm My daughter and I were driving and singing along to this song in February when were hit from behind in a multi-car expressway accident. Luckily no one was seriously injured, but I can't hear this song without thinking about that. In fact, I can recall the line of the song that came just before the impact and still associate it with the screeching brakes, which I hear in my memory as though it was part of the song. [sorry, hope that's not a downer...everyone was OK :) ]
Oh no!! I'm glad everyone was ok! Way to ruin a song...
TMart

Post by TMart »

Saw this one right away. But I now (unfortunately) have the puzzle title song stuck in my head.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Got to this late, but it went quickly. I've never heard the song though.

Edit: After listening to it I realized I have heard it before, though it's not very familiar. I didn't recognize the title.
Last edited by Laura M on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Maybe I can replace the ear worm...

I've never won an MMMM mug. And I've never written a song about it. Perhaps they're related?

Here's the original in case anyone doesn't recognize it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA

I want a new mug

I want a new mug
One from MMMM
To remind me I once was smart
When I’m feeling so so dim

I want to win that mug
Have it be mine all mine
I just know that it will look
So very very fine

That mug will look so good
Sitting up on my shelf
But what if it makes me feel
Way too full of myself?
Who me? Full of myself?
No way!

Don’t need a new drug
Let me tell you why
Cause that aha moment beats
Any chemical high

I want a new mug
One to hold my quaff
One that I can post a photo of
Whenever I want to show off

One that will hold my coffee
One that will hold my tea
One that will hold my fruit juice
When I’m craving something sweet
Hey, winning would be sweet
Oh, yeah!

I want a new mug
One that won't go away
Cause these metas keep me up all night
And distracted day after day

I want to win this mug
Yes, that’s what I said
That’d really really show
My music meta cred

That mug would make me so happy
I’d know just what to do
I fill it up and make a toast
To all my muggle crew
Cause I love all of you
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

LOL...Brilliant!!
Diana

Post by Diana »

That's beautiful Barb K! Standing ovation!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Easy for August. Now for that mega meta. I have words that I cannot do anything with.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Agree, a pretty easy one -- though I admit I had to stare at the completed grid off and on for about three hours, between errands and a brief nap, before I finally saw it. But that was my bad. I was working on a more complicated idea than it turned out to be.

I'm where Cindy is on the mega meta. Seeing where it's leading, I think, but I guess I'll need more.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I got the mega-meta! Unfortunately, I didn’t start doing the MMMM until April, so with that fact and several wrong guesses, I don’t think I have a shot.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I haven’t gotten any new ideas on the mega meta since my incorrect guess in May. Maybe September will be the tipping point.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I think I'm where ChrisK was on the meta.... still staring at the grid. As happens all too often, I see something that HAS to be a first step but no idea where to go from there. And I'm where he and Cindy still are on the mega meta.

I'm not asking for hints, but have gleaned from posts here that I can still get this if, theoretically speaking of course, I am a musical dinosaur that never heard of this song? ;)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

KayW wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am
I'm not asking for hints, but have gleaned from posts here that I can still get this if, theoretically speaking of course, I am a musical dinosaur that never heard of this song? ;)
I got it and I’ve never heard of the song, at least by title. Haven’t had a chance to listen to it to see if I recognize it.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'd also never heard of this month's song. I had to google it to verify that it is an alternative rock hit. (And being rather vague on alternative rock, I also googled to be sure "I Want a New Drug" was not in that category :)

Mega-meta wise, I'm pretty sure I've found the red herring. I've submitted two wrong guesses based on that. Still not seeing enough of the proper rabbit hole to turn it into a song.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Well THAT took way longer than it should have! Went in too many crazy directions until I finally found the answer. (Heidi)
Heidi
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:27 pm Mega-meta wise, I'm pretty sure I've found the red herring. I've submitted two wrong guesses based on that. Still not seeing enough of the proper rabbit hole to turn it into a song.
I didn't realize that you could submit more than one guess for the mega-meta! Maybe I should read instructions occasionally. But it doesn't really matter because I don't have any decent ideas. I'm tracking two things, and I think I know which is the red herring, but I also can't see how the other one will end up making any sense. This month didn't contribute anything to my understanding, sigh.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

KayW wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am I think I'm where ChrisK was on the meta.... still staring at the grid. As happens all too often, I see something that HAS to be a first step but no idea where to go from there. And I'm where he and Cindy still are on the mega meta.

The title was not familiar, but when I heard the song on line I recognized it. I still have a young adult at home. You can get it! (Heidi)
Heidi
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

Got it (pretty much a reverse pageant). Really loved the grid and how it turned out. It was a fun solve.